Hi there:

Again flying around one third of the world.

What makes me feel most insecure is turbulence. I myself experienced severe turbulence, if at all, once on a flight out of Philly after a severe thunderstorm passed the airport (waterfalls came down the windows while we were sitting on the taxiway for more than one hour before the captain said that we got a window for take off). The plane was shaken a lot, maybe 30 seconds of rough air at a time, followed by 30 seconds of quiet air. It helped me realize that even in strong turbulence, there are patches with smooth air. Another experience over the Rockies last year: moderate turbulence with the flight attendants strapped to their seats for an hour. After it, I asked a flight attendant; that's why I can confidently say that it was moderate turbulence. I coped well ... I have been on way over a hundred flights, many of them overseas or to Asia ... a lot of time in the ear (of course, nothing compared to a flight attendant or a pilot). Also Keith said that he only experienced severe turbulence on two occasions in his career. Other pilots make comparable statements. That is very reassuring. And even if there was severe turbulence: I know it is just uncomfortable, but not a safety issue. Sometimes I would almost wish to experience it just to learn that: I can also handle this. I wish I could enjoy turbulence as I once did ...

In two days, guys ... What is new to me: I dwell over things that my wife and I planned for after our return to Switzerland (e.g., the Rolling Stones concert in Zurich at the beginning of June). Usually, for me, no time existed after a flight because I would be quite convinced that I would die on the upcoming flight. I never thought that such an improvement in my fear of flying would be possible. But it is. And as that: I am sure that many of you can do it because i can ... I have been regularly reduced to death anxiety on flights ... and now ... I begin to enjoy that thing again ... it is possible ...

Patrik

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Evening before the flight ...

My confidence is not as unshakeable as two days ago ... The flight will leave tomorrow shortly before midnight. So there will be no rush, and that's good. My mind generates disaster movies ... but not as frequently and not as vividly as in the past. To balance that out, I try to create some positive movies in which I am confident about flying.

I want to correct something about my first post in this discussion: When I can do it, everyone can.

I will report on the flight back in Zurich.

Thanks to everybody for all the support you have given me! You helped me fly 12 times (5 flights were more than 12 hours) since August 2013.

Patrik

and you've got my number if you need it 

01420 588 628

I know Zurich Airport well,  lovely approaches, clear taxi ways long runways and excellent controllers.

Have fun  

Keith

Thank you, Keith.

Patrik

Captain Keith said:

and you've got my number if you need it 

01420 588 628

I know Zurich Airport well,  lovely approaches, clear taxi ways long runways and excellent controllers.

Have fun  

Keith

Hi everyone:

Back home. I was more nervous than on previous flights. If nervousness was the scale against which to measure success then these flights were less successful. But I try to look at it differently: Having arrived at the airport, I was calmer than usual. Boarding was not a problem. I slept quite a bit on the 14 hour flight so that it appeared not that long to me. Although I could not relax the rest of the time, I was able to keep a distance to negative thoughts and could help myself with encouraging self-talk.

No upcoming flights now. Probably we will fly someplace in Europe later this year.

Patrik

well done patrik....dont beat yourself up about nerves....different days you feel different feelings....I have 4 flights this week...i'm going to muscat via London...i'm feeling ok about it all and in fact looking forward to being in muscat (its a really nice place)....then i'm home for 2 weeks before back to muscat and abu dhabi in may....so loads going on for me....the point im making is.....though i fly a lot like you...on different days i feel different and could end up being nervous for no reason.

Thanks andyb99 for your helpful and empathetic post!

Looking forward to the destination is a welcomed alternative to anticipatory anxiety :-) I wish you all the best for your upcoming flights!

Patrik

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

About

Captain Keith created this Ning Network.

Helping Each Other

We're here to help all fearful flyers by giving you support, help, encouragement and guidance.

So tell us your story, ask us how we can help.

And maybe you'll tell everyone you know about this forum because even if they haven't told you, someone you know is also anxious about flying.

Fear of flying? This is the internet's biggest free forum. The only on-line fear of flying course is at premium.flyingwithoutfear.com

© 2022   Created by Captain Keith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service