I am originally from Germany, but have been living in the States for two years now. I have always been afraid of flying and I thought I would die when I was facing my first 9 1/2 hours flight to the States. I cried on the whole way to the airport und was still crying at the time of departure. It is a mixure out of having no control, claustrophobia and what is if I have a panic attack during this long flight which I can not just leave like a bus or a train. Well, I managed this first flight which is now 5 years ago and have been on several flights since then. I started to become more routined with flying, but never really liked it and got always nervous days before. But I even stopped taking "Vomex" (sold in Germany against motion sickness) what really helped me to calm down. Two years ago we immigrated to the States and after such a big step I thought I would have overcome all my fears including flying. I booked this upcoming flight to Germany in early February and was so excited, because this is the first time we are flying back to my homecountry since we left. Unfortunately, 5 months ago I had an unexpected panic attack during workout and have been really anxious since. I was able to fix this problem with counseling, but it brought back my fear of flying ... just like I have never been on all the other flights in between. I have been so excited about going home and now this terrible fear of flying is driving me crazy again. I am really anxious ... what is if I have a panic attack on the plane? What is ... what is ... what is? And this is actually the strangest thing, I have never really had a full blown panic attack on the plane. Only thinking about all the steps from driving to the airport, checking in, going to security and eventually boarding are letting me feel anxious. Also, we have to leave our little puppy with friends during this trip and it makes me really sad. I would love to look forward to our upcoming trip and be happy to see family and friends again, but instead my mind can't rest and I am already exhausted! We will fly from Orlando, Florida to Washington and from there directly to Frankfurt, Germany. I will do the fear of flying cours the next days again to prepare me more, but I was hoping to get additional support through this forum! Thank you :-)

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi

I know exactly how you are feeling, you could be describing myself. I have just flown to Penang and back 13 hours each way. My thoughts were exactly like yours, what if anything happens, its not like a bus or train where you can just get off. But I managed to sustain some kind of calmness, by writing down all the reasons why I was going, all the positive things, who I was going to see, what I was going to eat, this particularly helped - just repeating these things over and over again.

If I felt edgy at any point, I just breathed like Keith had told me to do. Apparently this stops adrenolin running round the body. For me, some kind of numbness kicked in. I found listening to music on ipod really helped.

I have experienced panic attacks like yourself, been on tablets for them. Strange enough, I didnt have any to take on the trip back - and It was fine.

Once you get settled in it gets easier.

If you can give yourself a talking to, I actually found myself getting quite angry with myself

Good luck
Hi

I know exactly how you are feeling, you could be describing myself. I have just flown to Penang and back 13 hours each way. My thoughts were exactly like yours, what if anything happens, its not like a bus or train where you can just get off. But I managed to sustain some kind of calmness, by writing down all the reasons why I was going, all the positive things, who I was going to see, what I was going to eat, this particularly helped - just repeating these things over and over again.

If I felt edgy at any point, I just breathed like Keith had told me to do. Apparently this stops adrenolin running round the body. For me, some kind of numbness kicked in. I found listening to music on ipod really helped.

I have experienced panic attacks like yourself, been on tablets for them. Strange enough, I didnt have any to take on the trip back - and It was fine.

Once you get settled in it gets easier.

If you can give yourself a talking to, I actually found myself getting quite angry with myself

Good luck
Hi Kate,

I really like the idea of writing down all the nice things I will do and will start my list today. Deep breathing and relaxation music works normally for me really good when I am dealing with anxiety and I have my ipod already charged and updated. I hope this will work for me too when I am sitting on the plane.

Thank you!!
Hi Diana

I found writing things down really does help it sink in, and saying it to yourself whilst on the plane too.

Also, would repeat to myself, this tim tomorrow, I will be there

Good luck

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

About

Captain Keith created this Ning Network.

Helping Each Other

We're here to help all fearful flyers by giving you support, help, encouragement and guidance.

So tell us your story, ask us how we can help.

And maybe you'll tell everyone you know about this forum because even if they haven't told you, someone you know is also anxious about flying.

Fear of flying? This is the internet's biggest free forum. The only on-line fear of flying course is at premium.flyingwithoutfear.com

© 2020   Created by Captain Keith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service