Flight from Zurich to Hong Kong (Swiss) and from there to Taipei (EVA) on October 4

Hi everyone:

My next flying adventure is coming closer... We were supposed to take this flight to Hong Kong in December 2012, but I avoided and postponed the flight to October 4 this year. Practice flights to Düsseldorf, Germany, and back under ideal conditions and a second stressful practice flight with family to London and back worked out ok (posted on it here). As of now, anticipatory anxiety is mild. I am really looking forward to the time in Taiwan where my in-laws live. Excellent sea food, nice family gatherings, the beauty of Taiwanese language and culture. I am going to post on my feelings, thoughts and preparations... I am determined to take the flight.

Before I developed a fear of flying as a result of an unanticipated panic attack, I had the following view: the bigger the plane, the longer and farther the flight the better. Sometimes I suddenly catch myself having that feeling again... that's a good sign...

Patrik

Views: 44

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

... in two days, I will take the first long-haul flight in two years. Although I feel well prepared, images of how terrible I may feel on the flight pop up more and more often as the flight comes closer. I am curious how I will cope ... The practice flights and encouraging comments on this site and from colleagues at work have helped immensely. Thank you!

Patrik

You won't feel awful on the plane -you will enjoy it and the wonders of flight -POSITIVE THOUGHTS should be your mantra-Self congratulations on every step on your journey are in order. Have a wonderful time with your relatives-I love big planes-long haul is so much more exciting and relaxing. best wishes,

Elizabeth.( who just before Christmas is flying to India and Nepal which includes 6 flights and optional flight around Everest and when I first met Keith was contemplating an hour's flight to France and was terrified that I would not cope with that)

Thank you for your response, Elizabeth, and the positive energy you sent me! That's what this site is all about!

It is now exactly 24 hours before the flight. As a live near the airport, the plane just roaring over our house may be today's service to Hong Kong... I feel excited, but also nervous ... There was a time when I did not trust myself anymore in the sense that I was not sure if I would board even after feeling calm the evening before the flight. I am determined to take this flights tomorrow ... I know there will be an emotional response, but I am prepared and I try to connect to the strong and courageous part in me and go with it.

Patrik

Hi Patrik,

Just wanted to say good luck with the flight. 

You've obviously got all the skills to deal with it, from reading your posts you know what you need to tell yourself. I like the analogy of 'The bigger the plane, the longer and further the flight the better'  I'm going to keep that one for myself!

Regards

Jim

Elizabeth said:

You won't feel awful on the plane -you will enjoy it and the wonders of flight -POSITIVE THOUGHTS should be your mantra-Self congratulations on every step on your journey are in order. Have a wonderful time with your relatives-I love big planes-long haul is so much more exciting and relaxing. best wishes,

Elizabeth.( who just before Christmas is flying to India and Nepal which includes 6 flights and optional flight around Everest and when I first met Keith was contemplating an hour's flight to France and was terrified that I would not cope with that)

WOW!!

I (and of course my family) made it to Taiwan and stayed relatively "comfortable" when approaching Taoyuan Airport (Taipei) while a typhoon was passing Taiwan and experiencing a crosswind landing like I had never before. I was worried that the landing would have to be aborted. Fortunately, that was not necessary.

Later when exiting the taxi near my family's home, it was very difficult to walk to the entrance door ... Only then I realized what caused the bumps during the approach. However, considering the strong wind, it was not as bad as my imagination would have predicted based on that weather on the ground. I will recall that when boarding a flight on a day with bad weather.

I am excited that I made one more step!!

More later.

Patrik

Huge pats on the back. Enjoy your time with your relatives and use all you have learnt on the homeward flight.

best wishes,

Elizabeth

Just saying Hi Patrik!

Well done you!

Yep, well done Patrik. Inspiration for us all!

Thank you Elizabeth, Amanda and David for the nice feedback!

Despite my fear of flying, I did not avoid flying until the end of last year. Although I kept exposing myself, my fear of flying did not improve, which puzzled me because the core of the treatment of anxiety disorders is exposure to the situation that evokes anxiety. I lost hope in that it could improve...

However, now with new strategies, new commitment and a better understanding of the psychodynamics, and not least, with the support I have received on this site, it has become generally better during the last 6 flights. Knowing that my "performance" will vary, I believe that my fear of flying will generally improve with each flight.

We are having a great time in Taiwan... In three days we fly back from Taipei via Honk Kong to Zurich. I will face it again ... and prevail ...

Patrik

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

About

Captain Keith created this Ning Network.

Helping Each Other

We're here to help all fearful flyers by giving you support, help, encouragement and guidance.

So tell us your story, ask us how we can help.

And maybe you'll tell everyone you know about this forum because even if they haven't told you, someone you know is also anxious about flying.

Fear of flying? This is the internet's biggest free forum. The only on-line fear of flying course is at premium.flyingwithoutfear.com

© 2022   Created by Captain Keith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service