Hello everyone

Well my third flight to Australia is coming up very fast now. The reason for going....to see my family again and meet my new grand baby who is due to make an apprearance in just over 3 weeks.

I was thinking today how, over the past few weeks I've been saying things like "I need to do my holiday lists" and "where shall we visit" etc..........goodness how far I have come since finding this site :)

Leading up to that first flight to Australia in 2008 I was a complete basket case, couldnt plan anything if I got to Oz in case I couldnt get on the plane, months of sleepless nights and panic filled days.

Of course the flights do enter my head, of course I'm still nervous, of course I get the odd wobble and dont even mention the flight time 23 hours !!! but after doing it twice now I am not 'terrified' of the airports, I'm not 'terrified' of getting on the plane, I'm not 'terrified' of the noises.  I have things in place to help me, break the flights up into segments, i.e. eat, drink, watch a movie, eat, drink read, listen to music, drink (the long haul flights seem to constantly feed you lol)

My advice to anyone in my position....above all BELIEVE in yourself, I didn't but I do now and stay POSITIVE.

I'm going to meet my new grand baby, see my 2 beautiful grand daughters, my daughter & son in law. I could NEVER have said that three years ago. I bless the day I found this site and long may it be here to help people like me. I may need to 'pop' here a few times before I go for a 'fix' but there is no doubt in my mind I AM GOING.

Phoebe

Views: 36

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Phoebe

Just wanted to say what an awesome post this was. I love your sheer dogged will power. "I am going and nothing is going to stop me". Superb. 

Your story is very much like mine and like you I still get wobbles - even after I have been flying for four years now or something. Last year I did 15 flights I think, including one from London to Los Angeles which included a two hour wait on the tarmac before take off. But that attitude of I am doing this, is what got me through. And like you say, by the time you have been fed numerous times, the flight is almost over. And by the rime you arrive, the place looks like a hotel room with pillows everywhere and people fast asleep. It's funny, the one thing that keeps helping me through is having to deal with knowing the flight was fine, as usual, but I didn't get on. So I am going to steal your mantra of "I AM GOING" if you don't mind, and add it to the one I stole from a sports brand last year of "just do it". With them in place, I reckon I am going to see some nice places this year. 

So here's to you and all your success. As long as we keep encouraging ourselves and others then the success stories will keep flooding in. In the 2 or so years I have been here I am always amazed at how much difference a few words on a screen, by a person you have never met, can make. 

Oh, and what a brilliant reason to go to Oz for. ;-)

Phil. 

Hi Phil

I too am always amazed at how much difference a few words on a screen, by a person you have never met, can make so thankyou so much for your encouragement.  This is the reason I am here telling those same people I am making a third trip.

My problem primarily was health issues I had, I was so scared I was going to be ill, the irrational fear that if I got ill I would just be left to die......I felt so stupid telling people this and still feel stupid when I think about it now, but the people here didnt think I was stupid, they encouraged, they helped and above all they understood, thats what makes it so great, no matter what you feel like someone else has been there.............

Great to hear of your achievements keep going, maybe one day we will both be able to get on a plane without thinking about it, and if not.............WE ARE GOING ANYWAY :)

Phoebe 

Phil said:

Hey Phoebe

Just wanted to say what an awesome post this was. I love your sheer dogged will power. "I am going and nothing is going to stop me". Superb. 

Your story is very much like mine and like you I still get wobbles - even after I have been flying for four years now or something. Last year I did 15 flights I think, including one from London to Los Angeles which included a two hour wait on the tarmac before take off. But that attitude of I am doing this, is what got me through. And like you say, by the time you have been fed numerous times, the flight is almost over. And by the rime you arrive, the place looks like a hotel room with pillows everywhere and people fast asleep. It's funny, the one thing that keeps helping me through is having to deal with knowing the flight was fine, as usual, but I didn't get on. So I am going to steal your mantra of "I AM GOING" if you don't mind, and add it to the one I stole from a sports brand last year of "just do it". With them in place, I reckon I am going to see some nice places this year. 

So here's to you and all your success. As long as we keep encouraging ourselves and others then the success stories will keep flooding in. In the 2 or so years I have been here I am always amazed at how much difference a few words on a screen, by a person you have never met, can make. 

Oh, and what a brilliant reason to go to Oz for. ;-)

Phil. 
Phoebe

You're a star

Keith

Hi Phoebe,

Great to hear you're heading to Oz to see family and grandchildren and new grandchild. I'm in a similar situation having daughter and son and granddaughter in NZ some 26/27 flying hours from here. Although I've made the trip three times now and am still nervous and panciky about flying, I'd get on plane on the morning without a second's hesitation and go to see them again. Unfortunately our economic woes in this part of the world are having an impact but I'm hoping to travel next year all going well. You have a good plan for the flight/s and one I subscibe to and will bear in mind the next time. In the meantime, have a wonderful time in Oz and best wishes to you and all the family and I hope everything works out really well. Let us know how you got on whenever you have a chance as I'll take any and all advice and support I can get. Best wishes. Frank Edwards. Ireland. 

Hi Frank

Yes it's not a cheap option is it, however with 1p now off the price of a litre of fuel (for now) we can all save a lot quicker !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm into days now 24 and counting................so busy at work ATM I havent really had time to think about it although those nasty little gremlins sneak in at night !! I just say 'go away (or words to that effect :) I'm trying to sleep. New grand baby due in 14 days although we thought it was going to make an early appearance this week haha.

I'll definatly be back here before I go and when I get back........look out for June's (June Ross) post I believe she is flying back today from Oz and she went on her own...... Good Luck to anyone with flights coming up :)

Phoebe

Francis Patrick Edwards said:

Hi Phoebe,

Great to hear you're heading to Oz to see family and grandchildren and new grandchild. I'm in a similar situation having daughter and son and granddaughter in NZ some 26/27 flying hours from here. Although I've made the trip three times now and am still nervous and panciky about flying, I'd get on plane on the morning without a second's hesitation and go to see them again. Unfortunately our economic woes in this part of the world are having an impact but I'm hoping to travel next year all going well. You have a good plan for the flight/s and one I subscibe to and will bear in mind the next time. In the meantime, have a wonderful time in Oz and best wishes to you and all the family and I hope everything works out really well. Let us know how you got on whenever you have a chance as I'll take any and all advice and support I can get. Best wishes. Frank Edwards. Ireland. 

I still watch in awe and wonderment

Keith

My turn to encourage you hun....the flights will pass quickly as you will keep yourself occupied/fed ;-) and you have the delight of meeting your new grandson/daughter to look forward to!!

Go girl!

BIG (((hugs))) x x x

Ok Phoebe I give in ....I willl travel with you...thank you for the limo to the airport the first class seat and 6 Star hotel in OZ. Hey thanks for letting the family come along too.

Keith

Hi June

Thanks hun I need it too, it's been 16 months since I went to Oz, just trying to take it one step at a time!!

Once we get this week over at work I should be able to wind down a bit (from work) then the anticipatory anxiety will proberbly kick in........!!! 20 days and counting..............

Keith your more than welcome, just one question.......can I share your first class cabin ROFL......

Phoebe

June said:

My turn to encourage you hun....the flights will pass quickly as you will keep yourself occupied/fed ;-) and you have the delight of meeting your new grandson/daughter to look forward to!!

Go girl!

BIG (((hugs))) x x x

Hi Phoebe,

I just wanted to tell you that you are one of the people who helped me most when I first joined this site. Many times I read your posts and thought 'that could be me'. I also have two daughters living in the US and when they first went over there I thought I would never be able to make the journey. Well, thanks entirely to this site, I have just returned from my fourth trip. Like you, this last trip was to be with my daughter for the birth of her first baby and my first grandchild. It was the most magical moment watching her arrival into the world and to think I would have missed that if I had not got to grips with my flying phobia.

The return journey (I am British but live in Malta) began with a very bumpy flight on the smallest plane I have ever been on! Even the hand luggage had to go in the hold because there was no room in the cabin! Fortunately it was only an hour's flight to Charlotte and then the 7 and a half hour flight to Gatwick,, then a five hour wait for our connection to Malta. Not nearly as long as your flight to Australia, I know, but I can honestly say I was not nervous at all, although I was sad to be leaving my girls ( do you have any quick fixes to get over missing them so much?)

Anyway, I want to wish you well on your trip and to thank you for all the encouragement you have given which has helped me and, I am sure, many others in a similar situation. I will be thinking of you as you make your journey - I always think it helps to know other people are sending positive vibes - and I congratulate you on your courage and on your newest grandbaby. It is such a wonderful reason to be travelling and I hope you have a fantastic time with your family.

I will be taking to the skies again in May as our eldest daughter will be graduating from college in Florida but I will not let myself think about it until just before I leave!

Good luck, and thank you so much again, 

Mel.

Hey Phoebe,

Thanks for the support:) Remember you want to do this and above all you can do it! Besides you already did it twice! You know that the pilots have complete control of the plane and they know what they are doing!

Enjoy your trip as much possible and let us know all the fun times you will have!

Take care!

Hi girls

Thanks for the support every little helps :)

Mel my daughter and I keep in touch every day on the iPhone there's an app you can get for 59p it's brilliant. If you want to know what it is PM me.......not sure I can advertise it here !!!

Phoebe

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

About

Captain Keith created this Ning Network.

Helping Each Other

We're here to help all fearful flyers by giving you support, help, encouragement and guidance.

So tell us your story, ask us how we can help.

And maybe you'll tell everyone you know about this forum because even if they haven't told you, someone you know is also anxious about flying.

Fear of flying? This is the internet's biggest free forum. The only on-line fear of flying course is at premium.flyingwithoutfear.com

© 2020   Created by Captain Keith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service