Any tips to help with my take off fear?
I fly on Saturday and want to enjoy the flight
But I am so scared if take off and noises 
Throughout the flight! I always think they mean
Something bad is happening!! 

Views: 19

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Think positive, nothing is going to happen bad, and the noises you hear are natural, listen to you car as you rev it up ,it gets louder and a airoplane engine is far bigger , hense more noise. Its easy for me to say this but I am slowly learning to cope as you will too, i was nervous past few days but once on everything seemed so natural , TRy and sit in the middle you feel less anxious as if you fear the plane maybe moving down, you can glance outside and see that the wing isnt moving anywhere hense the plane is still at the same level, this works for me, have a look at the breathing methods too this is a great help.

Sorry this is rushed supposed to be working , but good luck in your quest and enjoy it.
Hi Katie

Take off had always been my biggest fear, so I know exactly how you feel. I have literally just arrived home about 30 mins ago from a trip to Newquay and back .. and I flew on my own. No fears, just a little bit of clammy palms.

So how did I manage it? June's top tips...

Read up as much as you can on this site - can't stress that enough

One thing that helped me when I first came here was Keith told me to imagine at take off that I was travelling up a high building in a lift. You know the way a lift slows down just before it gets to the floor you want? Well I closed my eyes and imagined being in a lift and when the aircraft engines slow down a bit once you've climbed, well I just told myself it was like arriving at the floor I wanted to get to in the elevator. It works and gives you something to focus your mind on other than churning up with fear.

Try to relax, not easy I know when you're all pent up. Keith got me to try placing my palms on my knees, facing upwards. Try it, its not easy as you naturally want to clench up, but if you persevere it helps to relax you.

For me, I have just kept chipping away, bit by bit, and I feel really quite ok now. I won't kid you that its been an easy road for me, I have had setbacks where I have really beat myself up and felt I've let myself down, but after a good cyber kick up the bum from Keith - LOL he is great really ;-) I picked myself up and kept going.

If all else fails, you can try the mantra that Keith gave me for my flights to the USA last December .... ;-)
say to yourself, over and over as you take off ....
"this scares the sh1t out of me, but to the pilots it a piece of pi$$"
now, doesn't that make you smile eh? Keith Godfrey. what a guy!!

So please try not to let them fear gremlins get to you on saturday. You can beat them. The success stories here are testament to that.

best wishes
June
(if you have time, trawl through some of my old posts and see how much I have progressed. I hope that my success gives you the confidence that you too can be comfortable with flying)
Keith for MBE
Thank you for the advice I really
Appreciate you taking the time out to reply to 
My post :) I an thinking
Positivly and keep thinking about what my
Friend who is an air hostess says which is 
'i wouldn't do it if it was dangerous' I guess she
Has a point!! You have come so far and must 
Be very proud! My parents arrived in Portugal
Today and are eagerly awaiting my
Arrival on Saturday so I have them to think of
If ever I am scared too!! I WILL DO THIS!!! 

June said:
Hi Katie Take off had always been my biggest fear, so I know exactly how you feel. I have literally just arrived home about 30 mins ago from a trip to Newquay and back .. and I flew on my own. No fears, just a little bit of clammy palms.

So how did I manage it? June's top tips...

Read up as much as you can on this site - can't stress that enough

One thing that helped me when I first came here was Keith told me to imagine at take off that I was travelling up a high building in a lift. You know the way a lift slows down just before it gets to the floor you want? Well I closed my eyes and imagined being in a lift and when the aircraft engines slow down a bit once you've climbed, well I just told myself it was like arriving at the floor I wanted to get to in the elevator. It works and gives you something to focus your mind on other than churning up with fear.

Try to relax, not easy I know when you're all pent up. Keith got me to try placing my palms on my knees, facing upwards. Try it, its not easy as you naturally want to clench up, but if you persevere it helps to relax you.

For me, I have just kept chipping away, bit by bit, and I feel really quite ok now. I won't kid you that its been an easy road for me, I have had setbacks where I have really beat myself up and felt I've let myself down, but after a good cyber kick up the bum from Keith - LOL he is great really ;-) I picked myself up and kept going.

If all else fails, you can try the mantra that Keith gave me for my flights to the USA last December .... ;-)
say to yourself, over and over as you take off ....
"this scares the sh1t out of me, but to the pilots it a piece of pi$$"
now, doesn't that make you smile eh? Keith Godfrey. what a guy!!

So please try not to let them fear gremlins get to you on saturday. You can beat them. The success stories here are testament to that.

best wishes
June
(if you have time, trawl through some of my old posts and see how much I have progressed. I hope that my success gives you the confidence that you too can be comfortable with flying)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

About

Captain Keith created this Ning Network.

Helping Each Other

We're here to help all fearful flyers by giving you support, help, encouragement and guidance.

So tell us your story, ask us how we can help.

And maybe you'll tell everyone you know about this forum because even if they haven't told you, someone you know is also anxious about flying.

Fear of flying? This is the internet's biggest free forum. The only on-line fear of flying course is at premium.flyingwithoutfear.com

© 2020   Created by Captain Keith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service