Hello all

I got drunkenly talked into going on a Carribean cruise last year and im flying this friday, in total its gonna be 4 flights with Air France, I fly from Manchester to Paris - then Paris to Miami, im really really worried about it for 2 main reasons - first of all i havent been on a long haul flight in about 10 years and secondly im flying with Air France!!

I know Air France has been discussed on here before but it was just on the subject of the crash itself and i havent found any discussions of people being anxious to fly with them, i was just wondering if it has made them really improve on the quality of the airbus? im guessing naturally when a disaster happens it would make the airline even more safer than before.

I think i just need the reassurance

Thanks in advance

Views: 24

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi there! I'm also flying Air France this summer and feeling pretty anxious about it as I don't like being off the ground in a plane, Bristol - Paris, Paris - Mauritius. I think Air France are a very safe airline, and the cause of the crash which happened was something which was on the model of plane, nothing to do with the airline - could have happened to any airline using that particular model. Shouldn't happen again though as all those models have been modified. I also think it's probably going to mean all Air France staff are going to be extra vigiliant in terms of knowing and being devastated by the fact that one of their own planes went down, they are going to make sure their safety checks and maintenance are second to none. I looked at the Air France website, and that reassured me somewhat, as it's very focussed on comfort for the long haul flights and talk a lot about relaxation, have a good look around their website maybe it can help you. I'm probably not a lot of help as I'm very nervous flyer myself, try to take deep breaths and pretend you're a pilot or steward and do it every day.
Hey Suzi thanks for the quick reply

Knowing that the model of airplane has been modified has helped me relax a bit, and the whole maintenance check situation is nice to know that they are working even harder on this.

Have Air France always had a top notch reputation before the crash? if so then i feel safe in the knowledge they will be working twice as hard to get that safety reputation back up there, i have never flown with them and im trying to gather as much information as i can on them, i think i will visit their website like you say.

Just out of interest - what part of the plane was modified? was it a hardware or technical issue?

Thanks again
Hi again!
I'm not really sure about all the technical aspects, Captain Keith would be better to respond on this - but from what I have read (and i am no expert) it was some sort of tube that indicates speed which has now been modified.
From everything I have read all airlines allowed to operate into UK (and probably EU, Canada, America and many other parts of the world) have to have excellent safety checks and maintenance / records which are of a certain stanard otherwise they are not allowed to fly in/out of those airports so I don't think you need to worry about that side of things. The only airlines I wouldn't personally fly with are probably not allowed to take off from UK/ Europe/ etc airports, and you can find list of 'blacklisted' airlines on the internet. I imagine some African airlines, some Russian and i think Air India was on the list but these may have changed since i last looked. Enjoy your flight !
Again thanks Suzi

If i had it my way i would like to fly with Virgin or BA (obviously out of the question at the moment) but thats because i havent flown with Air France before i guess.

Yeah i would also stay away from the blacklisted airlines too.

It would be nice if Captain Keith could just back all this up for piece of mind

I shall let you know how i get on Suzi, thanks again
BA and Virgin would be my preferred too, although i'm 100% convinced Air France is just as safe as these two, if i was french i'm sure i'd prefer Air France than BA. There's something about Virgin that makes it seem so glamourous isn't there, they fly to Mauritius as do BA and Air Mauritius, but Virgin are mega expensive, and my hubby wants to go Air France as he flies each week to Amsterdam and has zillions of air miles points he can use on an air france flight so get/choose decent seats, use nice lounge, - i hope very much we can both get over our anxiety and enjoy our trips, :)
Yeah i think your bang on with respect to being French - BA might not sound too cracking to them, its just what your used to i guess. If it wasnt for the 2009 Air France tragedy i probably wouldnt be on here asking questions but i do realise it is very rare for it to happen and they are probably all the more safer because of it.

Virgin just give me this safe feeling as do BA, but as i said earlier its what we know, the couple of days build up to it is always worse than being on the flight in my opinion, from today onwards im gonna be a nervous wreck until im sat on the flight and then theres no turning back
Well the time is nearing, im gonna be setting off to Manchester tonight in preperation for the 1st stage of the trip a 6.40am flight to Paris, then from there to Miami, i have been constantly checking the weather and downloading flight tracker apps on my iphone to somehow help me get through it, it seems there is gonna be alot of rain in Manchester and Paris which doesnt bother me too much as i know it cant harm a plane.

I have also been reading Captain Keiths flying without fear book cover to cover, and trying to gather as much info on the reputation of Air France, its alot to take in but gets me through it a little bit.

Wish me luck
Hi there

You can be certain that any problems that have involved any aircraft will be rectified throughout the entire fleet of aircrfat around thge world. That's the way aviation works. Air Franc eare a good airline...no need to worry about that at all.

There seems to have been a problem with the speed sensor on the Air France Airbus and I know that crews have been advised on how to fly the aircraft without this information. This is a normal part of training but has been re-visited recently.

You don't need to be wished luck...you're in safe hands all the way.

Captain Keith...and my congratulations for facing your fear....WELL DONE GENERAL!!
Hello all, and thanks for replying captain Keith !

I'm typing this from Mexico it's the first time I've had chance to sit down with an available Internet connection, just to let you know the flights went quite well - the long haul was tough but at least part 1 is over, I'm gonna go and try enjoy the rest of the holiday without thinking about the flight home too much, I fly back on the 15th so I may be back here a few days before it ha

thanks again

Captain Keith said:
Hi there You can be certain that any problems that have involved any aircraft will be rectified throughout the entire fleet of aircrfat around thge world. That's the way aviation works. Air Franc eare a good airline...no need to worry about that at all.

There seems to have been a problem with the speed sensor on the Air France Airbus and I know that crews have been advised on how to fly the aircraft without this information. This is a normal part of training but has been re-visited recently.

You don't need to be wished luck...you're in safe hands all the way.

Captain Keith...and my congratulations for facing your fear....WELL DONE GENERAL!!
General promote yourself to Field Marshall!

BRILLIANT WELL DONE BRILLIANT WELL DONE BRILLIANT WELL DONE BRILLIANT WELL DONE BRILLIANT WELL DONE BRILLIANT WELL DONE BRILLIANT WELL DONE BRILLIANT WELL DONE BRILLIANT WELL DONE BRILLIANT WELL DONE

Keith
Great news, enjoy the rest of your stay and think of all the strategies you have read about /used on your outward tripfor the homeward journey.Congratulations and write up any tips for other readers when you are back.

Captain Keith said:
General promote yourself to Field Marshall!

BRILLIANT WELL DONE BRILLIANT WELL DONE BRILLIANT WELL DONE BRILLIANT WELL DONE BRILLIANT WELL DONE BRILLIANT WELL DONE BRILLIANT WELL DONE BRILLIANT WELL DONE BRILLIANT WELL DONE BRILLIANT WELL DONE

Keith
Ha Thanks Captain! hopefully i will be Commander when i return!

Thanks for the replies from last week

Currently sitting in the Florida Keys or is it quays? anyway its been a great holiday and i have managed most of the 2 weeks without thinking about the flight back until now, because i have experienced the flight here im going into the return flight with a bit more confidence but still very nervous - although im told its an hour quicker on the return flight (guessing its the tail wind?).

Yes Elizabeth im going to use all the same strategies as the outward flight here, reading the book, reading the information on the site and of course the obvious bottle of wine, its been a bit of a nightmare getting online as my iphone has not worked here since the day we arrived, anyway i fly back this thursday the 15th from Miami to Paris so i should be able to get back on here a few more times before we set off so will be in touch.

All in all it hasnt ruined the holiday at all just the final day or so!! which is a good thing.

Thanks again

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

About

Captain Keith created this Ning Network.

Helping Each Other

We're here to help all fearful flyers by giving you support, help, encouragement and guidance.

So tell us your story, ask us how we can help.

And maybe you'll tell everyone you know about this forum because even if they haven't told you, someone you know is also anxious about flying.

Fear of flying? This is the internet's biggest free forum. The only on-line fear of flying course is at premium.flyingwithoutfear.com

© 2020   Created by Captain Keith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service