Hi everyone! 

I'm flying from Canton-Akron Airport in Canton, Ohio (CAK) out to San Francisco International Airport in San Francisco, California (SFO) tomorrow morning at 6am. I'm trying to stay cool, to think rationally. The funny thing about irrational fears is that they tend to not respond to reason very well. 

I'm usually okay for landing/take-off... but when I'm sitting in the air just WAITING I start to get really impatient and start to freak a little. Mainly because the waiting game makes me nervous anyway, then I'm hyper-aware of sounds I don't understand, and it's just nerve-wracking. 

Does anyone have some good things to think about that help calm you down? Mantras? Maybe some past times that help make time fly? 

I love reading but I find when I'm truly anxious I really can't even get through a page. So that's sort of out. :( I'll have my computer, but I don't think Republic/Frontier have that Gogo in-flight wifi... 

Any ideas?!

Sara

Views: 18

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lucky you being able to fly tomorrow!!! All 'planes grounded in U.K because of volcanic ash-from Icelandic eruption-people stranded all over Europe and beyond.Tips for flying- deep diaphragmatic breathing works for me-do a search on the internet for details, but you really need to start to practice it weeks before your flight. Think positive thoughts and enjoy your flight!,probably won't be as bad as you anticipate and in flight bumps, noises etc are normal - do you notice all the bumps and noises when you travel by car or bus?
best wishes, Elizabeth.
The first flight from Ohio to Colorado wasn't too bad! I had to take two xanax to help me sleep though. The ride was smooth. I hope that my next flight to Cali will be good! Thanks for the tips!

Elizabeth said:
Lucky you being able to fly tomorrow!!! All 'planes grounded in U.K because of volcanic ash-from Icelandic eruption-people stranded all over Europe and beyond.Tips for flying- deep diaphragmatic breathing works for me-do a search on the internet for details, but you really need to start to practice it weeks before your flight. Think positive thoughts and enjoy your flight!,probably won't be as bad as you anticipate and in flight bumps, noises etc are normal - do you notice all the bumps and noises when you travel by car or bus?
best wishes, Elizabeth.
good luck,hope it goes well
Hope all is well Sara...let us know how you got on..
Hi! Thank you guys for the replies.. it helps me just knowing that you people are here!

Thankfully the flights were superb! By the middle of the first flight I started to calm down. Everything was normal. :) Things are great here in San Fran! I know the flight home is on Thursday but I'm not feeling jittery yet. I'll probably have to peruse the site for more info before that.

:)

SteveK said:
Hope all is well Sara...let us know how you got on..
hi reading your story is like I was reading my story. I am glad everything went well. I am exactly the same, hate just wait in the air, I tried to even watch my favourite and best ever Friends episodes but nothing works. I am flying soon and hoping I will cope just like you. good luck going back. all the best
Thank you for the well wishing, I really appreciate it. I'm trying to keep my mind off of the flight(s) home on Thursday. If I dwell on it then it's bound to ruin the rest of the trip! No sense in worrying anyway, right? :)

My plan for the return flights is the same - I'm going to try and stay up a little bit the night before so I'm able to sleep, I have some anti-anxiety meds I can take before I get on my plane. As long as I'm dozing and not counting the minutes until we land, I think I'm okay.

I hope you do well, too! Maybe your airline will have that Gogo in-flight wi-fi? That would certainly help if you could talk to us the entire time! :)

Karolina said:
hi reading your story is like I was reading my story. I am glad everything went well. I am exactly the same, hate just wait in the air, I tried to even watch my favourite and best ever Friends episodes but nothing works. I am flying soon and hoping I will cope just like you. good luck going back. all the best
That would be a great idea but don't think it is possible. I am quite new to this website but was reading lots of old forums and even thought i don't know anybody personally I feel very connected and close to people form this site.
Up in the air again tomorrow at 2pm.. I'm feeling okay right now, sort of. The weather across the states should be good tomorrow. I know that technically weather doesn't matter that much, but it puts my mind at ease.

I know it'll go okay. I just have to stop dwelling.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

About

Captain Keith created this Ning Network.

Helping Each Other

We're here to help all fearful flyers by giving you support, help, encouragement and guidance.

So tell us your story, ask us how we can help.

And maybe you'll tell everyone you know about this forum because even if they haven't told you, someone you know is also anxious about flying.

Fear of flying? This is the internet's biggest free forum. The only on-line fear of flying course is at premium.flyingwithoutfear.com

© 2020   Created by Captain Keith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service