Going to Newark April 2008 from Belfast and totally terrified

I'm going to book a flight in the next few weeks to Newark from Belfast and i'm really scared, whenever i think about it i just panic and my heart goes crazy! Ive flew quite afew times in the past but i havent been on a flight for any longer than an hour ( even that was one big ordeal ) since i was a teenager ( when i actually loved flying, went to canada,florida,cairo etc ) Its just keeping me awake with worry and wondering if i can actually do this without making a total ass of myself before boarding or wanting out of the plane :( My loved one is in the states and i have to fly to get there, i know i do but the thought of 7 hours in a plane is totally destroying me, especially to new york after the hudson event and yes 9/11 is still in my mind. I'm so afraid that i will lose it on the plane and make a total show of myself....ive been like this for years and have these thoughts of taking off and something going wrong or mid air and all i have below me is water! I really really need help with this

Views: 19

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for your reply Elizabeth, its great to hear and very encouraging to know you can control the fear and try and get on with it as it were....well done to you. I am slightly more confident than i was at the start and also i would like to thank Keith for his book i recieved in the post today! I have read afew pages when i got it and just about to read some more....so far it is helping me and giving me alot more knowledge than i had! Thank you Keith very much and I do believe you care :)
Hi Rachael,
I flew for 24 hours with a brief break after 13 hours, then after that had to get on a plane for an hour and a half for the final leg.
I was absoloutely terrified beforehand being on my own and the feelings I had but I got through it with distractions and breathing techniques.
With regards to two flights in quick succession, I found that the final flight just felt natural. I was so used to being on a plane by then I wasn't scared anymore and just wanted to get over to my destination.
:)
Hello All :) I hope everyone is doing well and getting on with their plane journies etc. Ok, well.....My ''Big Day'' is very very soon, this monday at 11.20am ( 27th April ) Heading to Newark and then the flight to Nashville at 5.30pm ( US time ) I cant believe the time has flew so quick since i first posted on here but im so glad the time is nearly here so i can do this and get it over with! If anyone is bored it would be cool if someone wants to track my flight? Its continental from belfast to newark at 11.20am arriving in newark at 1.45pm ( us time ) and then Newark to Nashville at 5.30pm getting there at 7.04pm.....I know how busy people are and its totally fine if no-one can, just thought i'd ask.

So........Any words of advice/words of encouragment for me?
Yes...remember the experiences of all the people on here...the flight is always better than is expected.
Keith
Rachael I will be thinking of you on monday! Remember that the flight itself is never as bad as the anxiety we feel before. I can imagine you are feeling completely overwhelmed and terrified like I always do before a flight but it will be so much better than you think. As soon as you get on board tell the crew how you are feeling and explain that you are following a fear of flying course, also remember your breathing. Think statistics and the millions of flights every day that take off and land no problem...you are very brave and you will feel so proud and pleased afterwards. It will be worth all the anxiety, really thinking of you GO FOR IT!! NB: turbulence is uncomfortable but not dangerous
Quote>>>Rachael I will be thinking of you on monday! Remember that the flight itself is never as bad as the anxiety we feel before. I can imagine you are feeling completely overwhelmed and terrified like I always do before a flight but it will be so much better than you think. As soon as you get on board tell the crew how you are feeling and explain that you are following a fear of flying course, also remember your breathing. Think statistics and the millions of flights every day that take off and land no problem...you are very brave and you will feel so proud and pleased afterwards. It will be worth all the anxiety, really thinking of you GO FOR IT!! NB: turbulence is uncomfortable but not dangerousbr /> Quote

Hi Caro! thank you so much for the words of support. Sometimes i think i have a handle on it and then other times i freak out quite abit but i can do this. thank you for thinking of me on monday, its very kind of you and i hope the next time i come on here i'll have done the flight with no problems and wonder why i was so frightened!

Hi Gordon, also thank you for your message. I came on here thinking on one really cared about lil old me but Keith gave me support and i also got his book which helped alot. Im doing my best to block out bad thoughts and yes easier said than done lol I wish you all the best in future flights and will let you know how it went.

Keith, thank you for your words of encouragement and your book....mostly thank you for having patience with me, i know it cant be easy sometimes and time isnt always on our side but thank you for being there.........

that really goes for everyone who ive had the pleasure of talking to and who have given up afew minutes of their time to message me and say afew words of support.

I am very nervous but i didnt expect anything else really. Newark and Nashville, here i come!
Will let you all know how i am getting on

Take care and very happy future flights
Rachael
Hi Rachael,

How did you get on with your flights? Not sure when you were due back but I hope everything went well...

Let me know :o)

Claire x

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

About

Captain Keith created this Ning Network.

Helping Each Other

We're here to help all fearful flyers by giving you support, help, encouragement and guidance.

So tell us your story, ask us how we can help.

And maybe you'll tell everyone you know about this forum because even if they haven't told you, someone you know is also anxious about flying.

Fear of flying? This is the internet's biggest free forum. The only on-line fear of flying course is at premium.flyingwithoutfear.com

© 2020   Created by Captain Keith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service