Hi all ! Just to let you know - I did it & even better, I survived & am ok ! 
Airline staff at Glasgow were brilliant - totally understanding & gave us seats right at the front. However, from check in the tears began - uncontrollable. Everyone was looking at me but I didn't care - this was the biggest thing I was about to do. Walking down the walkway towards the plane was so difficult but I knew I was going to do it. (This site is brilliant)When the ramp was removed, the tears came faster & I knew this was it. The slow trundle to the runway seemed to take forever & the tears didn't stop. Waiting for take off was stomach churning & I nearly stopped the circulation in my partners arm & then we were off. The power of the engines felt immense & soon I could feel us go up ! As soon as we were level I reduced my grip & the tears subsided. To my surprise I began having wee peeks out of the window which during the 6 hour flight became longer ! I knew I was going to be ok somehow. The general noise in the aircraft unsettled me at first - it seemed so loud but that soon went. Every time a bing bing went off, my partners arm got it. I automatically thought something was wrong. This is where I really appreciated being at the front - I could heat the cabin crew answer the bing bongs & realised it was mainly about making teas & coffees ! This, daft thought it sounds, made me feel I was in the loop & therefore slightly more in control !? There was some turbulence but Keith's mantra kept going round my head & I didn't give it a second thought. By the time landing approached I was actually getting a bit bored ! Landing was no problem - knew I'd be fine. Had a fantastic week in Sharm at 26ish c & didn't actually think about the return flight until the day of departure ! The return flight was worse for me because we were slightly further back (couldn't hear the cabin crew make coffee etc), it was dark (couldn't see anything !) & it was a lot more turbulent (this didn't scare me @ all, just v uncomfortable) & towards the end my ears were agony ! 
Anyway, know it's probably been said before but honestly - if I can do this, anyone can ! I am absolutely delighted that I've opened up this new adventure in my life & can't wait to fly again. Being honest, I didn't love it but feel I'll be worrying more about how many bikini's to take rather than assuming I'm about to die because I know I won't !
Keith - thank you so so much for your words of advice esp your turbulence mantra - i know it does bother a lot of people but I hardly gave it a second thougt because of you !
Alexa - so appreciated your replies. Great to know I wasn't alone with my mad thoughts - thank you !
Anyone else - you can do it ! There's a whole big world out there to see !
Thank you all
Nicola

Views: 68

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nicola!!!

Whoooohoooo!!  It's a great feeling isn't it!! Well done - really proud of you and you should be proud of yourself!!

Fab!

Alexa

Well done...very well done...superbly done!!

" Keith may be very direct and demanding but that's not the same as not helping." Just thought I'd change the mantra for the new members.

Keith

Dear Nicola,

I'am flying tomoworrow, and just by reading you I feel so much better. You oughta be so proud! 

By the way, I'am ALL tears from the moment I get sight of the plane (I know I get people a bit scared...) but, as you say, this is a big thing for me.

Thanks so much for sharing!

CB

Let us know how you did Claudia!

Claudia Flores said:

Dear Nicola,

I'am flying tomoworrow, and just by reading you I feel so much better. You oughta be so proud! 

By the way, I'am ALL tears from the moment I get sight of the plane (I know I get people a bit scared...) but, as you say, this is a big thing for me.

CB

You'll be as proud of yourself as I am of me Claudia ! You will do it - you might not love it but you will do it & you will feel so good about it ! So what if you cry, so what if you jump at noises - the fact is this is a huge thing for you so don't care about anyone/thing else & do it for you ! I've actually got tears thinking about what you're going thru but it's so so so worth it Claudia ! & you know what - you're gonna be fine ! Proud of you already ! Nicola x

Claudia Flores said:

Dear Nicola,

CB

:) onwards and upwards 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

About

Captain Keith created this Ning Network.

Helping Each Other

We're here to help all fearful flyers by giving you support, help, encouragement and guidance.

So tell us your story, ask us how we can help.

And maybe you'll tell everyone you know about this forum because even if they haven't told you, someone you know is also anxious about flying.

Fear of flying? This is the internet's biggest free forum. The only on-line fear of flying course is at premium.flyingwithoutfear.com

© 2020   Created by Captain Keith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service