I did it! I have finally gotten onto a plane last week for my holiday to Poland. I was absolutely dreading the experience but this time I actually managed to get onto the plane without cancelling last minute. I did take 2mg Diazepam however I don't believe it helped at all because I was still very scared. This time tho I didn't start panicking about the flight until I was on the plane which is a big change for me.

The take off was the worst part. It's something I hate the most about the flight. Having the support of my best friend really helped and hey it was OK that I was holding onto her hand so hard and I was nearly in tears. The flight itself was very smooth... to me it didn't seem like that at the time because every little noise or move I would get worked up but knowing that everyone else was OK and felt fine helped. 

I also spoke to the flight attendants. Made sure they knew I was scared and they were very supportive. When asking one of them whether this flight was going to be safe he replied: If it wasn't safe, do you think I would be doing this as a job?

On the flight back I was also very scared especially during the take off but throughout the flight I was able to relax and chat. The landing was a bit uncomfortable due to the turbulence caused by the rainy clouds.

I have another flight this Friday. I am going to Sweden and although I am scared I know I have done it and I survived and nothing bad happened.

Things that helped me the most: support of friends and flight attendants, knowing the facts about flying and trying to relax (mindfulness exercises prior to the flights). Often in my head everything seemed so much more dangerous but as soon as I took a deep breath and looked around things were very calm and I realized that all the fear is made by me and it's not there. 

I am still scared and I have a long way to go but I can now say that I did go on a flight after many years.

Natalia

Views: 61

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

WELL DONE  WELL DONE  WELL DONE

Keith and everyone on the forum.

Well done this makes me feel a bit reassured! Wow another flight so soon... Well done for confronting your fears!

Thank you :) I didn't fly for a few years and now I have been on two return flight and flying again in two weeks. It is scary but definitely doable. Glad it gives you a bit of reassurance! 

Kezza22 said:

Well done this makes me feel a bit reassured! Wow another flight so soon... Well done for confronting your fears!

i now fly most weeks....and i'm not embarrassed to be a little nervous on the first flight of the week....but as i keep saying...every flight is the same...you'll find this to be the case.

i think you're doing great by the way! 

Thank you Keith for the support and the course I attended!

Captain Keith said:

WELL DONE  WELL DONE  WELL DONE

Keith and everyone on the forum.

Thank you! and well done!

andyb99 said:

i now fly most weeks....and i'm not embarrassed to be a little nervous on the first flight of the week....but as i keep saying...every flight is the same...you'll find this to be the case.

i think you're doing great by the way! 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

About

Captain Keith created this Ning Network.

Helping Each Other

We're here to help all fearful flyers by giving you support, help, encouragement and guidance.

So tell us your story, ask us how we can help.

And maybe you'll tell everyone you know about this forum because even if they haven't told you, someone you know is also anxious about flying.

Fear of flying? This is the internet's biggest free forum. The only on-line fear of flying course is at premium.flyingwithoutfear.com

© 2019   Created by Captain Keith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service