I had a bad experience on a flight from Germany when I was a teenager (by bad, I mean it was very turbulent and I was terrified). After that, I became more and more nervous with each flight I took. By the time I was twenty-five I was avoiding any trip which involved flying. Although I was a successful and happy person I just couldn't deal with the terror and embarrassment I felt on a plane. Then, I married an American! Naturally he wanted to visit his family in the US as often as possible and wanted his wife to come too! It was at this point that I realised my fear was having a negative impact on my quality of life. I wasn't being fair to my husband or myself. For the last ten years I have been managing to get myself on a plane and fly to America to visit my husband's family - and it has always been very unpleasant for both of us. The absolute panic I felt on take-off and landing and during turbulence became a feature of every trip we took - until last May! I came across Captain Keith's website a week before flying to Chicago - I was determined to change my situation and had desperately been looking for help and I really found it there! I read other people's experiences, listened to pilots talking about flight (and how safe it is!) downloaded podcasts about weather and turbulence and take-off. Something just seemed to click - for the first time in 18 years I was able to take a flight without panicking - I was nervous and I had moments when I could feel the panic rising - but I stopped myself! I closed my eyes and took deep breaths and relaxed my body during the take-off and landing -I kept repeating to myself "This situation is completely under control and safe" and the results were amazing. We hit one area of turbulence over Lake Michigan and I nearly lost it - but again the breathing and the mantra seemed to calm me down within minutes. I think having an understanding of how flight works and how skilled and knowledgeable a pilot is made the whole thing a much more rational experience. Also, I went to an air show in Kemble when I got back from Chicago and absolutely loved it! The skill that these pilots have and the amazing capabilities of the aircraft made me feel even more confident about flying! I would recommend an air show to anyone who is scared of flying!

Since then, I have flown to Delhi and Paris with great success. Although I will always be a nervous and apprehensive flyer and will use this forum to back up my confidence - I feel I’m now able to stop the feeling of irrational terror and at times I can actually go as far as to enjoy the flight, the beautiful views and the sunshine!

Views: 14

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

what an inspiration - thank you..and what a picture (although it did make me feel a little shakey)
Great story. An INSPIRATION to us all!
Hi Geraldine

After reading your story I thought I would post mine from the other forum.

Great account of how far you have come......Well Done :)

Phoebe x
nice story! I'm looking to manage my fears also!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

About

Captain Keith created this Ning Network.

Helping Each Other

We're here to help all fearful flyers by giving you support, help, encouragement and guidance.

So tell us your story, ask us how we can help.

And maybe you'll tell everyone you know about this forum because even if they haven't told you, someone you know is also anxious about flying.

Fear of flying? This is the internet's biggest free forum. The only on-line fear of flying course is at premium.flyingwithoutfear.com

© 2022   Created by Captain Keith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service