Hi Everyone

I'm back again from an 8 week holiday in Australia to see my girls and meet my new Grandson Harry.

Very jetlagged ATM so will put a full post on when I recover but I just wanted to say I really surprised myself this time and even met the Captain on the last leg home :)

Phoebe

Views: 22

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome home mate!

Keith

It was always nice to meet passengers...when they (used to) come into the cockpit they check you over to make sure you looked  kinda normal then talk to you as if they've just met Father Christmas. 

Then when they asked  where we are  we pretend that we're lost...and when they ask how long you've been flying we say we started last week.Childish, but fun.

We used to have a competition on charter flights where we asked the passengers to guess the mileage  or something simple like that. One day we had a boy and his mum on the flight deck I asked if the boy had entered the competition...his Mum said " Oh we haven't bothered...it's not for the likes of us ...we so pleased just to be here in the  cockpit...it's made our holiday...we don't know things like that" ( meaning the mileage  or speed or whatever it was )

I persuaded them to 'enter' and showed them how to work out the answer. Stuck their answer in with the others and gave it to the co-pilot to find the winner. Hey presto the boy and his mum got lucky! She cried the boy jumped up and down and they hugged each other. I get watery eyed thinking about it.

So if you have fun meeting and seeing  imagine how much better it is for us as the crew...

Keith

Hi All

Well I'm back again from another incredible journey to Australia.....8 weeks goes so fast.

Still jet lagged but here goes

I had the usual wobbles (Anticipatory Anxiety) in the weeks leading up to April 17th but on the day I got into the taxi to the airport fairly relaxed, got the stressful bit over with (security) and to the departure lounge. Our flight was called and I followed my piers quite comfortably down the air bridge. I felt no need to tell anyone I was a nervous flyer because the truth is.......I wasn't!!!!!! Sorted into 'cattle class' headfones on movie sorted and just let the crew 'do their job'. Prepare for take off was called and a little tummy tumble but I tightened my seatbelt and relaxed as much as possible into my seat.....no clinging onto the armrests....no grabbing hubby's hand, it was quite funny because he automatically got hold of my hand and squeezed it but I just let my  hand relax, tummy tickle done and we were on our way.

I really surprised myself this time, I was still a little bit nervous but didnt feel the need to concentrate on deep breathing etc. Once we were on our way I said to hubby can you believe its 16 months since we did the last trip and it feels like yesterday. A few bumps but nothing major and 7.5 hours later we landed in Dubai, connection to Singapore and flight pretty much the same. 2 day stopover to catch up then onto Australia to meet my new grandson (who was only 12 days old and is beautiful) although my daughter Emma needed recovery time from the unexpected emergency section she had we had 8 wonderful weeks including baby Harry's christening.

All too soon time to come home :(

Again I felt fine about the flights, it would be true to say I didn't give them a thought, my only thoughts were about leaving the family rather than the flights themselves. The captain came on to say they were expecting 'unsettled weather' and to expect some turbulance so to please keep our seatbelts on at all times unless the lights went off.

My thoughts were right OK turbulance it's uncomfortable not dangerous but I have to say thoughts went through my head like I hope I don't panic. I duly fastened my seatbelt sat well back into my seat and relaxed as much as possible we were shaken around a bit and I adopted the thought of 'this roads a bit bumpy' the turbulance was a bit rough in places but I kept my cool just turning the volume up on the movie and tried to concentrate on that. I was fine and I didn't panic.

We had a 17.5 hour layover in Dubai but had a hotel so that helped then the last leg where we had managed to upgrade to business class again.....wonderful. The weather report was for fine weather and apart from a small shake here and there it was smooth as silk.

So I pop my head round the curtain to go to the 'little girls room' and there is the Captain having a coffee and steetching his legs!!! Of course I said "hold on who's driving" then promptly apologised saying "you must hear that every time you see a passenger" he smiled and said "yes I do but it's fine" I said I wouldnt keep him from his coffee break and he said "no its fine, it's not like I'm going anywhere". He was a really nice guy maybe mid fifties, just like I would expect our Captain Keith to be, only younger (sorry Keith :).

I asked him if he had ever worked for BA hoping he knew our Captain but he said he was from New Zealand had worked for NZ airlines then Emirates for the past 12 years. I said how I thought Emirates was a great airline for taking care of it's passengers, he said well it depends if you get the A crew or B crew so I found myself telling him how fantastic the flight attendant was on my first flight as I was terrified, how I found this site and this was my third trip to Australia and how an retired BA pilot had started it and even given me his home phone number so I could ring him prior to my first trip. He said how wonderful that someone would do that for fearful flyers and he felt it was really a fear of the unknown.....I agreed with him on both counts. He didn't look super human or have his underpants over his trousers he was just a regular nice guy but I did feel privilaged to have met him especially in these times.

So here I am back safe and sound once again, missing my family but knowing I will see them again.

I can say with hand on heart that if I had not found this site and 'met' all the wonderful people on it I couldn't be posting my THIRD incredible journey and finding it was one of the best days of my life.

All you feaful flyers take heart from this post. It CAN be done, I promise you :)

Phoebe x 

Captain Keith said:

It was always nice to meet passengers...when they (used to) come into the cockpit they check you over to make sure you looked  kinda normal then talk to you as if they've just met Father Christmas. 

Then when they asked  where we are  we pretend that we're lost...and when they ask how long you've been flying we say we started last week.Childish, but fun.

We used to have a competition on charter flights where we asked the passengers to guess the mileage  or something simple like that. One day we had a boy and his mum on the flight deck I asked if the boy had entered the competition...his Mum said " Oh we haven't bothered...it's not for the likes of us ...we so pleased just to be here in the  cockpit...it's made our holiday...we don't know things like that" ( meaning the mileage  or speed or whatever it was )

I persuaded them to 'enter' and showed them how to work out the answer. Stuck their answer in with the others and gave it to the co-pilot to find the winner. Hey presto the boy and his mum got lucky! She cried the boy jumped up and down and they hugged each other. I get watery eyed thinking about it.

So if you have fun meeting and seeing  imagine how much better it is for us as the crew...

Keith

Attachments:

What can I say...well done...I knew you could do it because you had two things going for you ...the need to fly and the courage to face it against the most amazing odds. As they say on the street "To'al respect man!"

Keith...the old pilot apparently!

Captain Keith said:

Ahhh but wonderful and young at heart.......although I suspect you might be the type to wear your underpants over the top of your trousers occasionally.....or does that just come with age..... ;-)

Phoebe x

Keith...the old pilot apparently!

welcome back Phoebe and WELL DONE!!! I'm so proud of you and it is lovely to read your story and hear about your successful flights. I hope you recover from the jet lag quickly, Bev xx

Phoebe,

It's Jane - remember me? We spoke on your first flight to Jersey. Well I am off in the morning my 3rd visit.

I am feeling really nervous and panicky. I am amazed you have managed 3 times to Australia - well done!!!

It's truly amazing. We are taking a nervous passenger with us tomorrow which is really not helping one little bit.

It's only 50 mins flight so hopefully all should go okay. Really rather do something else, but we have the grandchildren to see... You have done so well Phoebe - well done!

Love Jane xx

I'm  on line now Jane

01420 588 628

Hi Keith,

I'll try to call you again in a while.

Jane

Captain Keith said:

I'm  on line now Jane

01420 588 628

jane brookes said:

Phoebe,

It's Jane - remember me? We spoke on your first flight to Jersey. Well I am off in the morning my 3rd visit.

I am feeling really nervous and panicky. I am amazed you have managed 3 times to Australia - well done!!!

It's truly amazing. We are taking a nervous passenger with us tomorrow which is really not helping one little bit.

It's only 50 mins flight so hopefully all should go okay. Really rather do something else, but we have the grandchildren to see... You have done so well Phoebe - well done!

Love Jane xx

Hi Jane

Yes I do remember you and yes it's amazing how I have managed  to go to Oz 3 times BUT like you I had grandchildren to see and it's amazing how that thought alone helps you.

As far as taking a nervous passenger.....it's very odd but I was kind of hoping there would be a nervous passenger on our plane so I could talk to them about how well I have done and lend them my bible (Keith's book) to read which goes everywhere with me.

Believe in yourself Jane you CAN and WILL do it.....I discovered we are much stronger than we give ourselves credit for.

I'll be thinking of you also :)

Phoebe x

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

About

Captain Keith created this Ning Network.

Helping Each Other

We're here to help all fearful flyers by giving you support, help, encouragement and guidance.

So tell us your story, ask us how we can help.

And maybe you'll tell everyone you know about this forum because even if they haven't told you, someone you know is also anxious about flying.

Fear of flying? This is the internet's biggest free forum. The only on-line fear of flying course is at premium.flyingwithoutfear.com

© 2022   Created by Captain Keith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service