im scared of every part of flying! ive been afraid since i was a child. i was forced to fly when i was 16...we had 5 different flights & i hated everyone of them. my fear has gotten worse as ive gotten older & sept.11th only added new fears to the ones i already had. im tired of driving long trips & id like to be able to get on a plane but even the thought makes me panic & break in to a sweat. im not sure if theres hope for me.

Views: 71

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yes i do think of how many planes fly everyday.& believe me i have many issues w driving also but theres still a hugs difference to me in being on the ground & not traveling @ 400-500 mph.those are two of the main issues that keep me nice & scared of planes.

Elizabeth said:

Hi Karla,

May I say that every time you see something in the media about a slight mishap in the aviation world it reinforces your thoughts about how dangerous flying must be. However, in reality, because flying incidents are so rare they are sensationalised in the press/ t v etc especially if a personality e.g Mrs Obama was involved. Have you considered how many safe take offs and landings world wide there have been in the few minutes it has taken me to type this message?, How many planes are happily cruising taking many thousands of people safely on their journey at this very second.

Travelling by road is far more dangerous-accidents and deaths are such common place that they may get a brief mention in a local newspaper but we all get in our cars happily and not think of what other drivers may do. I may be a careful driver and in full control of my car but on a busy motorway you cannot control the actions of other drivers- they may have been drinking/under the influence of drugs, take risks, lack concentration all with dire consequences.

Beating this fear of flying takes hard work and dedication. Keith and all the other posters here  can offer advice and encouragement but ultimately it is up to yourelf to take the first steps in managing your fear and get airborne. From my own experience boy is it worth it.

best wishes, Elizabeth.

You're right there is a huge difference one's a whole lot safer than the other!

So the time has come to decide what to do...nothing is ever achieved or changed by inaction. So my plan is; first  to say to you that we can go round in circles for ever discussing how you feel, misunderstandings, press reports and all sorts.

Second :Start me off with something you're going to change. What about this...no more mention of how dangerous you think flying is...

Keith

Have to agree with Keith here and Elizabeth...I was like you Karla but I decided that I wouldn't be beaten by fear.I have just flown to Dublin and back and I'm off to Finland next! Instead of concentrating on all the negative stuff I keep telling myself how lucky I am to be able to travel and what a fantastic time I'm going to have once I have flown to my destination.If it worked for me it can work for anyone!  Bev
i am trying. i wasnt prepared to end up scaring myself all over again though. the fear is such a huge thing for me & ive really only been talking with you all for a few wks. i am trying really hard, taking everything in that you guys share w me  i guess im not making progress as fast as everyone else has???this is a huge HUGE ...beyond huge fear that ive had all my life. i am taking the 1st step to try to see if i can try to work thru my fear but i dont think its gonna happen in 3 months. stating my fears & hearing back from people who feel the same or can give me reassurances in regards to those things not happening is whats helping me.but im starting to think maybe i misunderstood how this works.

Hi Karla,

Don't worry about how quickly things are happening...it's going to take more than  a few months to get a strategy to deal with your fear...however there are people  who suggest that you can do it more quickly. This is your fear and the cure/fix is going to come from you. It's taken years to develop your fear to this point , so it's not going to go away quickly.

Doesn't matter what mistakes or misunderstandings there may be...you are competing only with yourself no-one else. The important thing is that when you are ready, when you feel that you can face things then that will be the time to start re-structuring your thoughts, learning things and preparing yourself. The one thing you can be certain of is that there is no quick fix. It'll take a while, a long while  maybe ...but we'll always be here for you.

Captain Keith

thank you. i do hope i can get there someday! again i truly appreciate the time every person has taken to help me!
Oh wow, reading all of this has really touched a nerve with me.  I'm terrified, terrified I say!  :)  I have another flight on tuesday, and Karla, I think about all the same things you do. I've turned down trips, driven long distances, you name it, all to avoid flying.  But this flight I'm going on was a gift to me, and so while I'd so much rather drive, I'm doing it.  Tewo things that help me though...NON STOP flights!  The take off is the worst part for me (I actually dont mind landing, since I know that means I'm almost done!) so with a non stop, I only have to be scared silly once.  Secondly, this flight is less than 2 hours.  I figure I'm a strong woman and I can do anything for 2 hours...Thats what I keep telling myself anyway.  But my main point is, dont be to hard on yourself.  Just keep at it, educate yourself and belive that evenutally you'll get to a point where, even though it might not be fun, you will get on a plane.  I'm proof!

Hi Heather

If you don't like the take off  go to the video section and watch the take off video over and over again until it doesn't have any effect on you.

Keith

Im the same way...landing is so relieving! Then i have the people who brake their neck to tell you its themost dangerous part!! I do get what youre saying though.In theory i realize everything you just said...its just a matter of gaining the courage to trust I'll be ok. good luck w ur flight!& CONGRATS on doing it!!!!!!! :)

Heather De Nio said:
Oh wow, reading all of this has really touched a nerve with me.  I'm terrified, terrified I say!  :)  I have another flight on tuesday, and Karla, I think about all the same things you do. I've turned down trips, driven long distances, you name it, all to avoid flying.  But this flight I'm going on was a gift to me, and so while I'd so much rather drive, I'm doing it.  Tewo things that help me though...NON STOP flights!  The take off is the worst part for me (I actually dont mind landing, since I know that means I'm almost done!) so with a non stop, I only have to be scared silly once.  Secondly, this flight is less than 2 hours.  I figure I'm a strong woman and I can do anything for 2 hours...Thats what I keep telling myself anyway.  But my main point is, dont be to hard on yourself.  Just keep at it, educate yourself and belive that evenutally you'll get to a point where, even though it might not be fun, you will get on a plane.  I'm proof!
Thank you for that suggestion.  I'll do that :)

Captain Keith said:

Hi Heather

If you don't like the take off  go to the video section and watch the take off video over and over again until it doesn't have any effect on you.

Keith

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

About

Captain Keith created this Ning Network.

Helping Each Other

We're here to help all fearful flyers by giving you support, help, encouragement and guidance.

So tell us your story, ask us how we can help.

And maybe you'll tell everyone you know about this forum because even if they haven't told you, someone you know is also anxious about flying.

Fear of flying? This is the internet's biggest free forum. The only on-line fear of flying course is at premium.flyingwithoutfear.com

© 2020   Created by Captain Keith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service