So on Saturday I'm taking a 40 minute flight; on Sunday, an 8.5 hr flight, and on Tuesday, a 2.5 hr flight.  Naturally I'm most worried about the long one - are long flights any more dangerous than short flights?  Because it seems like there's more time for something to "go wrong", if you know what I mean.  Is this irrational?

Am trying to keep positive and will take things to get myself distracted.  I guess I just need to stay rational, though that's very hard to do.  Anxiety sucks!!

Thanks for any help!

Annie

Views: 114

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hey Annie

nice to talking to you
I think from a psycholigal point of view your flight schedule
looks great. you have a short flight and once that is
non eventful you will be prepped for your longer flight

personally I prefer shorter flights because I am very tall
so I am not crammed in to my seat as long!

I think once you get to flight 3 you should be into a grroove

good thing about longer flights is that u may get to watch some films

u going on holiday it business, anywhere fun or interesting
an don't beat yourself up on being nervous being angry
won't help just take it one step at a time it will get easier

u may one say shake it like me or it will be almost gone
and easy to deal with

Phin Bury said:
hey Annie nice to talking to you
I think from a psycholigal point of view your flight schedule
looks great. you have a short flight and once that is
non eventful you will be prepped for your longer flight

personally I prefer shorter flights because I am very tall
so I am not crammed in to my seat as long!

I think once you get to flight 3 you should be into a grroove

good thing about longer flights is that u may get to watch some films

u going on holiday it business, anywhere fun or interesting

Thanks for the support, Phin.  I am going on holiday so that's always better. :)   Going from Brazil to the States for about a month.  Can't wait to actually get there!! I hope I am able to shake it off like you, though I've flown many times and always been scared.  But I'm hopeful this time will be different. :)

I'm grateful I'm not at all tall, that'd make everything worse!

Short update:  made it to Sao  Paulo.  Only a 40 minute flight, but I made it without breaking down.  I also took .75 clonazepam (all prescribed by my doctor).  It was fine, though.  Very little turbulence, clear blue skies, and I tried to remember Keith's tips.  I think I feel better for my 8.5 hour trip tomorrow, especially since I hear tomorrow's plane (A-330) has individual screens and everything!

Thanks.

WELL DONE YOU!!!!!!

Keith

Thanks, Keith. Now, at night in the hotel, I'm kind of freaking out again. But I'm not sure it's the airplane as much as it's the first time I travel so far by myself.  Will definitely go, though! 

You'll be fine...just remember that to the crew it's all in a normal day's work.

Keith

So guess what...I'm in Miami!!!  Flight was all right, was a bit anxious at first, but taking a much shorter flight the day before really helped.  I did find it to be way too exhausting...8.5 hours was a bit much for me, so I think on  the way back I'll try to break it up into smaller flights.    We did have some turbulence over Venezuela and Cuba, mainly, the seatbelt sign came on and at first I was nervous, but then I got used to it as it happened 5-6 times, and the turbulence itself wasn't that heavy at all.  I remembered Keith's "uncomfortable but not dangerous" mantra.   It helped!  One thing that helped was putting on headphones for the trip.  The noises are so loud and not only does that set off the fear, but it's also bad for your ears.  So I found the headphones to be helpful.  I did tell a flight attendant as I came in that I was afraid of flying, and she was very helpful throughout the trip.  Overall, it was a success!  I fly again on Tuesday, and after that long flight, 2.5 hours is looking pretty good! Thank you so much, Keith, and all of you members for your help and support.  

Annie

No, long flights are just as safe as short ones. Bit like are green cars safer than yelloew ones?
But you knew I'd say that didn't you?

Keith

Indeed. :)  But short flights are much less tiring than long ones, that's for sure! 

well done annie that's amazing that you have done it, and felt great after, you should give yourself a well deserved pat on the back.

Thanks, Stacey! I took another flight on Tuesday, from  Miami to DC.  The pilot started off saying it was going to be choppy due to storms in Florida, and I naturally was not excited.  There was turbulence certainly, but it was not horrible and the pilot seemed to know exactly when it was coming.  By the end it was a smoother flight.  Not pleasant, but not terrifying either.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

About

Captain Keith created this Ning Network.

Helping Each Other

We're here to help all fearful flyers by giving you support, help, encouragement and guidance.

So tell us your story, ask us how we can help.

And maybe you'll tell everyone you know about this forum because even if they haven't told you, someone you know is also anxious about flying.

Fear of flying? This is the internet's biggest free forum. The only on-line fear of flying course is at premium.flyingwithoutfear.com

© 2020   Created by Captain Keith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service