Hello Captain and all memers,

Could anyone please share some techniques of how to get asleep during flight ? Until now it seems like task for superman, but long long flights awaiting me and I believe that I can walk 36 hours awake. So I suppose sleeping in flight would help a lot. I would be thankful for ANY tips.

Views: 109

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

-close your eyes, wear eye mask, insert ear plugs, seat as far back as it will recline and RELAX!

elizabeth

I've never really managed this, but I have a mate who swears earplugs and an eye mask are all it takes.

When I get really tired on a long flight, I don't try to sleep because the more I try and can't, the more stressed I get. Instead I just close my eyes, listen to music fairly quietly and think about... well, whatever random stuff pops into my head. It's not sleep but it's rest and it helps.

Firste, be sure to book a seat that is convenient for sleeping (me, for example, I have lo lean towards my left). Wear comfortable shoes and socks, plan your outfit so it won't bother too much. Have a good sleep the night before (otherwise you are tired and stressed about 'having' to sleep), put on your mask and earplugs (try them first!). Oh! I find it useful to use a dab of a relaxing scent on my wrist (bach flowers, for example). Nice flight!

CB

I can never get on with those eye masks, a big yes to the earplugs though. Do you like any relaxing music on? or would that keep you awake?

Hi,

Relaxing music is ok to lower down the stress. I like to listen to music when in flight. It makes my mind to stop thinking about fear and possible outcomes. Actually I can go asleep very fast with that music on, but there is one problem I didn't mention. When I'm just about to fall asleep I start to feel as I'm dying and as there is no oxygen and I'm immediately awake. This feeling is very strong if I'm about to sleep in a seconds and plane goes on a small bump and I feel that 'falling' feeling. After that I'm affraid to sleep. It's not that I can't, but it's that I'm afraid. So I hope to make my own sleep technique based on your suggestions. I have very good time for that - 10 hours transatlantic flight. So I want to collect as much hints as possible and try to use them in that 10 hour flight.

Claudia Flores said:

Firste, be sure to book a seat that is convenient for sleeping (me, for example, I have lo lean towards my left).

Well, that is not always possible :) Maybe I'm wrong, but I suppose all seats on 777 are convenient :)

I am the same - even if I'm not particularly scared I feel every single bump, dip and cloud passing by. I was the same on a cruise this summer - I could feel the waves literally all night long (good job it was free bar!!) so I understand how hard it is. I've slept once coming back from Boston for abour 1½ hours and that's my world record.

I have no shame though - I take a small pillow, sleep mask, sleep spray ear plugs then get my husband to put the blanket over my head so that I'm cocooned in darkness. As someone said above comfortable clothes help - I've even taken a change into PJ/lounge bottoms so that I can tuck myself up. I find leaning forward on my table makes me feel sickly so I wouldn't recommend that to a friend.

Keith mentioned a great idea a couple of weeks ago about breaking the flight up into one hour segments - so you could have a reading hour, a nap hour, a movie couple of hours etc to at least make each part seem more 'bite size'. I think of a flight that size as my working day so its 'xxxx will be getting in the office now, its lunch hour now, its afternoon brew and a biscuit'. Your working day doesn't seem 'that' long so making the flight similar does make it feel neverending.
Darius R said:

Hi,

Relaxing music is ok to lower down the stress. I like to listen to music when in flight. It makes my mind to stop thinking about fear and possible outcomes. Actually I can go asleep very fast with that music on, but there is one problem I didn't mention. When I'm just about to fall asleep I start to feel as I'm dying and as there is no oxygen and I'm immediately awake. This feeling is very strong if I'm about to sleep in a seconds and plane goes on a small bump and I feel that 'falling' feeling. After that I'm affraid to sleep. It's not that I can't, but it's that I'm afraid. So I hope to make my own sleep technique based on your suggestions. I have very good time for that - 10 hours transatlantic flight. So I want to collect as much hints as possible and try to use them in that 10 hour flight.

Thanks for nice advice. It has been a long time I took long flight so I even forgot about my feelings and what can I do. I'll try to test myself in less than 2 weeks.

By the way, many of you speak about pills. Is it easy to get them with you ? Normally you need to have perscription translated into lots of languages and with lawyers signature. Do you have that or you just take pills ? I think it's illegal without perscription. Isn't it ?

Anyway, I'm against pills. I had problems back in my life and I just know that pills doesn't solve anything. They just make life easier, but problems bigger. Well, but that's mine opinnion.

My best bit of advice would be bring some warm clothing, particularly if you are coming to or from a hot country where it won't be the first thing on your mind. I had no idea how cold planes could get overnight before I flew back from Vegas last month - we were supplied with warm blankets but for some reason my blanket went missing and they didn't have any spare!

I was really chilly and couldn't sleep which was a shame as I had managed to get reasonably relaxed (for a change). So definitely bring some extra layers in case you don't get enough of them provided to you!

Warm clothing should not be an issue as I'm leaving from Riga then fly to London and then Port of Spain (Trinidad and Tobago). So I fly from approximately +6 celsius to +32 celsius :)

Alison Sayer said:

My best bit of advice would be bring some warm clothing, particularly if you are coming to or from a hot country where it won't be the first thing on your mind. I had no idea how cold planes could get overnight before I flew back from Vegas last month - we were supplied with warm blankets but for some reason my blanket went missing and they didn't have any spare!

I was really chilly and couldn't sleep which was a shame as I had managed to get reasonably relaxed (for a change). So definitely bring some extra layers in case you don't get enough of them provided to you!

JO TAYLOR-what a great idea, to break down the flight into one hour segments!  I never thought of that but I think it is something that would work great for me.  I am actually getting excited for hour 7 hour flight to the Dominican Republic, just so I can try all these great tips out.  Like others, I also find that covering my head with a blanket or sweater works great for calming my nerves and helping me fall asleep.  No matter how silly it sounds, it is a great tip!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

About

Captain Keith created this Ning Network.

Helping Each Other

We're here to help all fearful flyers by giving you support, help, encouragement and guidance.

So tell us your story, ask us how we can help.

And maybe you'll tell everyone you know about this forum because even if they haven't told you, someone you know is also anxious about flying.

Fear of flying? This is the internet's biggest free forum. The only on-line fear of flying course is at premium.flyingwithoutfear.com

© 2020   Created by Captain Keith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service