Hi All,

Well its been a little while since I posted, i see there are quite a few new names on the forum, I hope you are all enjoying the support this fear of flying community gives, it really is superb.

A quick insight into my story, as you can see my name is Jim, I didn’t fly for around 15 years until I found this forum. Before then I thought I was in the minority, I thought like me a fear of flying meant you simply couldn’t fly and you wouldn’t entertain the idea, then I met some wonderful people who were as panic stricken as me but could still drag themselves through the pain barrier to achieve their goals. I went to one of Keiths seminars early the following year and then was part of the team who went on a flight to help film the DVD which you can buy from this very sight,

Anyway, I'm posting today as I have just come back from the most successful flight I have ever taken and I am buzzing!!! It was only a short flight, 45 mins from Liverpool to Isle of man with Fly Be but it went like a dream! With all the postponements due to the volcanic ash we weren’t even sure if we were going to fly until the day before and I think somewhere in my mind this helped me, I knew from what I have learnt from here there was no way the plane would fly even if there was a 1% of any danger, On the day of the flight I had my coping strategies ready, my personal ones include:

Rescue remedy

MP3 player with a playlist of upbeat songs

Having a book ready that I have been reading earlier in the week and deliberately stopped at during an exciting part!

With everything I have read and learnt over the past few years on this site I was ready and in control of the whole situation.

I’ve entitled this post my small steps as its probably the most important thing I have learnt, set yourself very small targets. Mine are too keep going, if in the next 12 months I take another small flight, maybe this time 1 hour – 1.5 hours I will have succeeded and again will be as happy as a I feel right now.

I added a little video of me on the plane just as its getting ready to descend into Liverpool, I took the video for myself to capture how happy I was feeling, have a look, hopefully my stupid smirking face will make you laugh!

Jim

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi JIm, Good to read you are still perservering , SUCCEEDING and CELEBRATING your success.When I sat next to you in Winchester I was really worried about a 1.5 hour flight, never dreaming I would ever fly over the Atlantic to Cuba but with information and support from Keith and fellow form members ,by taking things gradually and in small chunks- I progressed from 1.5 to 2hours, then 3 .5, 4 hour flights, then decided if I could achieve my next goal of 7 hours to Abu Dhabi I could cope with 9 hours ..Build on your success and follow your dreams. Keep doing what feels comfortable for you and working away.Great that you share yourtips because that can help other people
Although the recent flight disruption due to the volcanic ash has been so traumatic for so many people I think we can be reassured that safety is paramount in the flight industry.
Happy landings, Elizabeth.
Hi Liz,
Great to hear from you and really pleased to read about your success! Tell me, how did you go from the transistion from small flights to medium to large?
The length of the flight plays a huge part in my decisions on where to fly and I'm trying to get really comfortable with short flights ( roughly an hour) before I start progressing, in a bizzare way I've come to enjoy the take off and that sound of the captain saying "we're starting our descent" is music to my ears! its the cruising I least enjoy and where I find if I need to use any coping strategies I do.
It will be good to hear how you progressed to the longer flights, I would love to go to the states one day, I think its my ultimate flying goal!

Thanks
Jim

Elizabeth said:
Hi JIm, Good to read you are still perservering , SUCCEEDING and CELEBRATING your success.When I sat next to you in Winchester I was really worried about a 1.5 hour flight, never dreaming I would ever fly over the Atlantic to Cuba but with information and support from Keith and fellow form members ,by taking things gradually and in small chunks- I progressed from 1.5 to 2hours, then 3 .5, 4 hour flights, then decided if I could achieve my next goal of 7 hours to Abu Dhabi I could cope with 9 hours ..Build on your success and follow your dreams. Keep doing what feels comfortable for you and working away.Great that you share yourtips because that can help other people
Although the recent flight disruption due to the volcanic ash has been so traumatic for so many people I think we can be reassured that safety is paramount in the flight industry.
Happy landings, Elizabeth.
Hi JIm,
The flight to Abu Dhabi and return was on a Boeing777 and to Cuba on a 747.When compared to a Flybe dash or a Boeing 737 the first thing that struck me was how huge they feel inside with 2 aisles and 10 seats across.To Abu D I had a window seat and spent most of the cruise watching the clouds and the landscape below.To Cuba I was allocated middle seats but didnot mind as the journey was over the sea and I did not want to be reminded of that much the same view throughout the flight!Homeward was a night flight but had the same position seat.
Once in the cruise on the larger aircraft there is so much coming and going in economy class, snacks, drinks, meals being served people walking around some were doing circuits of the 'plane that by the time you settle to watch a film time went pretty fast. I have taken far too many things to keep me occupied , a good book,several magazines, playing cards, crossword book, that some were untouched, also MP3 player with favourite music, Rescue remedy pastiles( did not use them-there as a safety net-prefer sucking ordinary fruit sweets.I love watching the journey of the plane on the interctive map and reading the speed, altitude etc- perhaps secretly I pretend i am the captain!
Do ask me anything else you wish to. I prepare for every flight by doing deep breathing and relaxation exercises which I know I can use to calm me if any panicky feelings start to emerge-I tell myself positive affirmations too- you can do this, etc.
I want to see as much of the world and different cultures as i can before I am too old and flying is the quickest way to travel- so there is no gain without some pain.Keep persevering- follow your dreams and live for today.
Best regards, Elizabeth.
Hi Elizabeth,
Sorry its taken me two months to reply! Its fantastic to see how you have progressed since we met, It gives me comfort that like me you were petrified that day in Southampton and now your flying to Dubai!
I'm flying to Ireland (Cork) in two weeks time and we are hiring a car and having a tour around the South West coast of Ireland for a week which I'm really excited about. Again, I'm continuing with my small steps philosophy, this flight is about 1hr 15min, doesnt sound much when you say it but its enough for me!
Thanks
Jim

Elizabeth said:
Hi JIm,
The flight to Abu Dhabi and return was on a Boeing777 and to Cuba on a 747.When compared to a Flybe dash or a Boeing 737 the first thing that struck me was how huge they feel inside with 2 aisles and 10 seats across.To Abu D I had a window seat and spent most of the cruise watching the clouds and the landscape below.To Cuba I was allocated middle seats but didnot mind as the journey was over the sea and I did not want to be reminded of that much the same view throughout the flight!Homeward was a night flight but had the same position seat.
Once in the cruise on the larger aircraft there is so much coming and going in economy class, snacks, drinks, meals being served people walking around some were doing circuits of the 'plane that by the time you settle to watch a film time went pretty fast. I have taken far too many things to keep me occupied , a good book,several magazines, playing cards, crossword book, that some were untouched, also MP3 player with favourite music, Rescue remedy pastiles( did not use them-there as a safety net-prefer sucking ordinary fruit sweets.I love watching the journey of the plane on the interctive map and reading the speed, altitude etc- perhaps secretly I pretend i am the captain!
Do ask me anything else you wish to. I prepare for every flight by doing deep breathing and relaxation exercises which I know I can use to calm me if any panicky feelings start to emerge-I tell myself positive affirmations too- you can do this, etc.
I want to see as much of the world and different cultures as i can before I am too old and flying is the quickest way to travel- so there is no gain without some pain.Keep persevering- follow your dreams and live for today.
Best regards, Elizabeth.
Jim
Hi, Iam new to the site and share the same nervous feelings I know how it feels its not nice. I tend to get nervous when the plane is at it's cruise as well. I have a flight to LA on Saturday and very worried. I never let the fact of flying stop me seeing places i want to go. It is difficult and at times i have to to motivate myself ( repeating 'its perfectly safe and nothing is going to happen'). I have done many long flights which tend to be less bumpy due to larger aircraft and more room plus lots going on to keep you occupied. The key to overcoming worry when cruising is to keep yourself busy i take my two young kids and wife, she keeps me busy plus gives support. I also look around and see everyone excited which helps.
I tend to mix short flights with long flights, for me if i dont i will never go further a field. Why not try jumping into the deep end and booking for the US, you may be suprised .

Thanks

Jim said:
Hi Elizabeth,
Sorry its taken me two months to reply! Its fantastic to see how you have progressed since we met, It gives me comfort that like me you were petrified that day in Southampton and now your flying to Dubai!
I'm flying to Ireland (Cork) in two weeks time and we are hiring a car and having a tour around the South West coast of Ireland for a week which I'm really excited about. Again, I'm continuing with my small steps philosophy, this flight is about 1hr 15min, doesnt sound much when you say it but its enough for me!
Thanks
Jim

Elizabeth said:
Hi JIm,
Best regards, Elizabeth.
Hi Jim,

I am new to this site and have been reading so many of the stories. Yours really struck a chord because I too am scared of many things not just flying - motorways are a killer for me. Last time I went on one it was mid evening so I knew it would be quiet and I was still crying my eyes out. I don't take buses or like trains either.

I tried CBT - and my therapist believed in flooding - which is where you face one of your top fears and for a long time. So we spent hours in lifts - but then the lift got stuck! It was only for a couple mins but it felt like hours. I had a severe setback then and became really agoraphobic - I was frightened all the time for a while. Since then I have decided that for me small steps are really, really important.

I have just started a voluntary job - which was terrifying but I actually really enjoyed my first day. My goal is to start taking the bus there and back as its only a five minute ride and then to build up to longer journeys and then to take trains etc. But all in small steps.

I will order the DVD from this site and then plan - when bit further down the line of recovery - to take the seminar.

Can I just say it is an inspiration to see someone who has had a number of fears and through taking these small steps and keeping going is conquering them. Thanks so much for sharing your story,

Rachel.
Hello Rachel,

Firstly welcome to the site.

Its funny that you should post a message this weekend, I am flying to Ireland tomorrow something I never thought would ever happen during my lowest moments. I was walking around the supermarket this morning thinking how far i have come and how I do things so naturally these days without even thinking about it such as driving on the motorway or using a lift.

To some people it means nothing, but i congratulate myself regularly. This summer I went to Wimbledon and had a fantastic day, the train from birmingham to London, the tube to wimbledon, the massive crowds - all these things would have petrified me 5 years ago but I couldnt wait - On the way home the tube stopped outside a station for about 5 minutes and I was looking around and starting to feel a bit twitchy, but then something inside me started smiling . I dont know why and I dont know where it come from but the train started moving again and the whole issue had passed before I'd even had time to start panicking.

I've got loads I can talk to you about! finding people that feel the same way is a real relief there are loads of really nice people here who all have differnet fears, phobias and are happy to discuss things with you. The day I went to Keiths seminair was a huge step forward in my life. OK I'm not about to jump on a plane and fly to the states or australia, I'm going on a 1.15 min flight to Ireland and i cant wait!!

Take Care & good luck

Jim
Rachel Graham said:
Hi Jim,

I am new to this site and have been reading so many of the stories. Yours really struck a chord because I too am scared of many things not just flying - motorways are a killer for me. Last time I went on one it was mid evening so I knew it would be quiet and I was still crying my eyes out. I don't take buses or like trains either.

I tried CBT - and my therapist believed in flooding - which is where you face one of your top fears and for a long time. So we spent hours in lifts - but then the lift got stuck! It was only for a couple mins but it felt like hours. I had a severe setback then and became really agoraphobic - I was frightened all the time for a while. Since then I have decided that for me small steps are really, really important.

I have just started a voluntary job - which was terrifying but I actually really enjoyed my first day. My goal is to start taking the bus there and back as its only a five minute ride and then to build up to longer journeys and then to take trains etc. But all in small steps.

I will order the DVD from this site and then plan - when bit further down the line of recovery - to take the seminar.

Can I just say it is an inspiration to see someone who has had a number of fears and through taking these small steps and keeping going is conquering them. Thanks so much for sharing your story,

Rachel.
Hi Jim, Sending positive vibes for your holiday to Ireland . It is a beautiful country . Keep taking those steps forward and keep congratulating yourself for all you have achieved. Best wishes, Elizabeth p.s was on centre court for Wimbledon last year but nothing this year in the public ballot!-

Jim said:
Hello Rachel,

Firstly welcome to the site.

Its funny that you should post a message this weekend, I am flying to Ireland tomorrow something I never thought would ever happen during my lowest moments. I was walking around the supermarket this morning thinking how far i have come and how I do things so naturally these days without even thinking about it such as driving on the motorway or using a lift.

To some people it means nothing, but i congratulate myself regularly. This summer I went to Wimbledon and had a fantastic day, the train from birmingham to London, the tube to wimbledon, the massive crowds - all these things would have petrified me 5 years ago but I couldnt wait - On the way home the tube stopped outside a station for about 5 minutes and I was looking around and starting to feel a bit twitchy, but then something inside me started smiling . I dont know why and I dont know where it come from but the train started moving again and the whole issue had passed before I'd even had time to start panicking.

I've got loads I can talk to you about! finding people that feel the same way is a real relief there are loads of really nice people here who all have differnet fears, phobias and are happy to discuss things with you. The day I went to Keiths seminair was a huge step forward in my life. OK I'm not about to jump on a plane and fly to the states or australia, I'm going on a 1.15 min flight to Ireland and i cant wait!!

Take Care & good luck

Jim
Rachel Graham said:
Hi Jim,

Rachel.
Fear of Flying

Imagine how I feel. I'm so pleased for you Jim...fantastic...but for me the highlight will be remembering you on the plane sitting casually reading the newspaper. I can't remember if that's on the DVD or on my personal film of the trip.

And of course Fay is about to get married and jetting off somewhere for her honeymoon...June flies all over the place now...happy days indeed.

WELL DONE.

Keith
Just thought I would add a quick update, flight to cork was perfect! Even a 1 hour delay at Birmingham didn't put bother me. Cork is a lovely place. Thanks Jim
Captain Keith said:
Fear of Flying

Imagine how I feel. I'm so pleased for you Jim...fantastic...but for me the highlight will be remembering you on the plane sitting casually reading the newspaper. I can't remember if that's on the DVD or on my personal film of the trip.

And of course Fay is about to get married and jetting off somewhere for her honeymoon...June flies all over the place now...happy days indeed.

WELL DONE.

Keith
BRILL!

Jim said:
Just thought I would add a quick update, flight to cork was perfect! Even a 1 hour delay at Birmingham didn't put bother me. Cork is a lovely place. Thanks Jim
Captain Keith said:
Fear of Flying

WELL DONE.

Keith
Hey Jim,

Glad the flight went well. It is a real inspiration to see people who have overcome their fears and makes me confident I can eventually too.

Rachel,

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

About

Captain Keith created this Ning Network.

Helping Each Other

We're here to help all fearful flyers by giving you support, help, encouragement and guidance.

So tell us your story, ask us how we can help.

And maybe you'll tell everyone you know about this forum because even if they haven't told you, someone you know is also anxious about flying.

Fear of flying? This is the internet's biggest free forum. The only on-line fear of flying course is at premium.flyingwithoutfear.com

© 2022   Created by Captain Keith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service