Hi All,

Well its been a little while since I posted, i see there are quite a few new names on the forum, I hope you are all enjoying the support this fear of flying community gives, it really is superb.

A quick insight into my story, as you can see my name is Jim, I didn’t fly for around 15 years until I found this forum. Before then I thought I was in the minority, I thought like me a fear of flying meant you simply couldn’t fly and you wouldn’t entertain the idea, then I met some wonderful people who were as panic stricken as me but could still drag themselves through the pain barrier to achieve their goals. I went to one of Keiths seminars early the following year and then was part of the team who went on a flight to help film the DVD which you can buy from this very sight,

Anyway, I'm posting today as I have just come back from the most successful flight I have ever taken and I am buzzing!!! It was only a short flight, 45 mins from Liverpool to Isle of man with Fly Be but it went like a dream! With all the postponements due to the volcanic ash we weren’t even sure if we were going to fly until the day before and I think somewhere in my mind this helped me, I knew from what I have learnt from here there was no way the plane would fly even if there was a 1% of any danger, On the day of the flight I had my coping strategies ready, my personal ones include:

Rescue remedy

MP3 player with a playlist of upbeat songs

Having a book ready that I have been reading earlier in the week and deliberately stopped at during an exciting part!

With everything I have read and learnt over the past few years on this site I was ready and in control of the whole situation.

I’ve entitled this post my small steps as its probably the most important thing I have learnt, set yourself very small targets. Mine are too keep going, if in the next 12 months I take another small flight, maybe this time 1 hour – 1.5 hours I will have succeeded and again will be as happy as a I feel right now.

I added a little video of me on the plane just as its getting ready to descend into Liverpool, I took the video for myself to capture how happy I was feeling, have a look, hopefully my stupid smirking face will make you laugh!

Jim

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi All,
Thanks for your warm comments, 2010 has been a fantastic year for me having completed four flights, I'm back in Birmingham now after my week in Ireland, Flights both ways went fine, I'm almost embarrassed to say there are elements of the flying that I’ve actually come to enjoy over the year, particularly landing in a new country or city and looking out at the sights as you are making the approach into the airport.
We're already looking at our next flight, watched a great episode of coast last night, they were filming from Denmark and my wife fancies the Idea of Christmas in Copenhagen!
Thanks Again

Jim
BRILLIANT, FANTASTIC Jim to read of your flights to Cork and back-and to read you actually enjoyed some of your flying time too.if you feel you want to visit Denmark go for it-(spent my honeymoon there in Copenhagen took ages getting there train to Harwich, ferry to Esberg, then train and the train went on a ferry too although I believe there is now a bridge linking the main island.) -you would be there in a blink of an eye by 'plane when compared to my long journey.Keep taking those small steps and do what feels right for you.
All the best Elizabeth.
Hi Jim - Elizabeth pointed me to your story as I had just put up a posting to say I have booked a flight from Leeds to Belfast on 29 October and could feel a slight twinge! Like you all my flights over the past eight or nine years have been short ones from Belfast to UK. The last one was cancelled due to the volcanic ash and I had to take my car at the last minute overnight to Liverpool and then drive from Birkenhead to Leeds - couldn't help but think if I had been flying I would have been there in an hour! You are right it does help to know that we are not alone in our fears but my danger is a a reluctance to admit that they can return. I have a strategy myself that works like always booking a window seat and looking out - it brings a reality into it. The last flight this time last year we had to hover over Leeds airport as they thought we might have to divert to Doncaster. Had it not been for the reading materials and the DVD you mention I would hae been terrified whdn the pilot came on with a 'special announcement!' I amazed myself at looking down and watching all the planes take off underneath. I have never had a difficult flight and yet each time the same apprehension returns - the big difference today though is I know I will travel - with the encouragement of the other members.
Hi Lena,
I totally agree that education is the key to overcoming your fears. When I first went to Keith’s seminar I wasn’t sure if it had helped me as my fear was the whole claustrophobia of being in a plane, I wasn’t particularly bothered by engine noises or turbulence as I hadn’t been able to even get myself on a plane to experience these! However I soon realised that my claustrophobia wasn’t so much a fear of enclosed spaces, it was a fear of something going wrong when i was in an enclosed space and of course I now know that educating myself with everything that’s going in the airport and on the plane has began to remove these fears.

Good luck with your flight to Dublin, Something I forgot to mention in my last post was the size of the plane. With my previous short flights we had flown with FlyBe on a fairly small prop/jet plane, however the Air Lingus flights to Cork were on a significantly bigger aircraft ( I know it was an Airbus but cant remember the model). Elizabeth and other friends had mentioned to me that flying on a larger craft would be much better for me and there were right!

Jim

Lena McCann said:
Hi Jim - Elizabeth pointed me to your story as I had just put up a posting to say I have booked a flight from Leeds to Belfast on 29 October and could feel a slight twinge! Like you all my flights over the past eight or nine years have been short ones from Belfast to UK. The last one was cancelled due to the volcanic ash and I had to take my car at the last minute overnight to Liverpool and then drive from Birkenhead to Leeds - couldn't help but think if I had been flying I would have been there in an hour! You are right it does help to know that we are not alone in our fears but my danger is a a reluctance to admit that they can return. I have a strategy myself that works like always booking a window seat and looking out - it brings a reality into it. The last flight this time last year we had to hover over Leeds airport as they thought we might have to divert to Doncaster. Had it not been for the reading materials and the DVD you mention I would hae been terrified whdn the pilot came on with a 'special announcement!' I amazed myself at looking down and watching all the planes take off underneath. I have never had a difficult flight and yet each time the same apprehension returns - the big difference today though is I know I will travel - with the encouragement of the other members.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

About

Captain Keith created this Ning Network.

Helping Each Other

We're here to help all fearful flyers by giving you support, help, encouragement and guidance.

So tell us your story, ask us how we can help.

And maybe you'll tell everyone you know about this forum because even if they haven't told you, someone you know is also anxious about flying.

Fear of flying? This is the internet's biggest free forum. The only on-line fear of flying course is at premium.flyingwithoutfear.com

© 2022   Created by Captain Keith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service