Hi Keith,

In one of my blog posts I was speaking about very strange sound in a cabin of A320-232 which made me very nervous, but I made a guess that it was hydraulic pump. I've found video on youtube with same plane and same sound. Could you watch video and tell me if my guess was correct ? Just skip it to 2:26. http://youtu.be/7dBClcuVIrw

Views: 62

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All sounds normal to me.

Keith

Mhm... but before 2:26 there was no annoying monotonic sound and in 2:26 it appeared and was available until flaps came out. In my case that sound was until plane took off.

it's the flap motor running I suspect .... sounds normal to me  .... the flight was normal I guess ... normal.

Unusual isn't the same as dangerous.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Well, I think this is still a big deal. Some months ago I saw video from 787 cabin with same sound and some people were complaining about big hydraulic pump noise. Only in that video I saw it first time. I want to be honestly - if I haven't seen this video before I would have panic attach in my flight because that sound is really not normal for fearful flyer. You need to be aviation engineer at least to be calm there because you must know specifics of the hydraulic motor and the location where it is installed.

Why there is no such issue with older planes ? Why it is so common in new planes ? Is it place of installation of the pump ? Well at least for me sounds like that can make my flight a nightmare.

Darius, it is not a big deal for me. It's not a big deal for the plane.

What benefit are you getting from watching videos on you tube?  They are not telling you anything useful and they worry you when there is no need to worry. If I say that something is normal why not believe me rather than your interpretation of something you don't know about. 

If iI post a you tube video saying that everything is normal would you believe me? You tube is NOT helping you.

I'm sorry if I sound unsympathetic but I'm not here to sooth people through mis understandings as a result of mis information because it just doesn't help people.  The facts are the facts. It's much better to face things as they are than live in a world of incorrect facts. Feelings are feelings and I don't argue that these things really worry you and you have my utmost support when you feel unsafe BUT they are only feelings NOT  facts.

Keith

Hi Darius

I have experienced this sound on a number of planes (don't remember which). I have heard the following explanations (don't remember the source): In order to save fuel, only one engine of a twin-engine plane is turned on to taxi to the runway. As a result, more fuel is consumed on one side of the plane, requiring fuel pumps to move fuel to the other side. It may also be that, due to only one engine running, hydraulic pressure has to relayed to the other side.

Patrik

Yes we sometimes taxi with one engine running but the stuff about the fuel transfer is not correct.  Hydraulic systems supply all the services required during taxiing  so there's no transfer required ... the pump may run more frequently ... may.

Keith

Hi Keith,

I can tell you honestly why I look videos on youtube. The answer is quite simple. I want to know of what can I expect. That video on youtube with 787 just saved my life in my last flight. If I hadn't watch this video and if I hadn't read comment about hydraulic pumps then I had big problems during my last flight.

I know that you always help and you always there to help, but on the other hand you can't put all sounds, all vibrations and all turbulence what we can expect in one book or site. Maybe it's difficult for you to think as a fearful passenger (because you're a captain :) ), but believe me those sounds and movements are terribly scare even if you know that what you feel is not the same what is happening in real life. You know, I'm an engineer in food industry and that sound for a pump is really not normal sound in food industry. That's why it made me scared. Now I know that maybe in aviation pumps construction is different and they might sound like that, but anyway the least thing you want to hear is that sound in 11 km height.

And yes, sometimes watching youtube or other sources really helps you to prepare for "normal" situations. I hope you understand my point. There is even videos on your site regarding turbulence and other things and they are here just to help people to understand the nature of flight.

Captain Keith said:

Darius, it is not a big deal for me. It's not a big deal for the plane.

What benefit are you getting from watching videos on you tube?  They are not telling you anything useful and they worry you when there is no need to worry. If I say that something is normal why not believe me rather than your interpretation of something you don't know about. 

If iI post a you tube video saying that everything is normal would you believe me? You tube is NOT helping you.

I'm sorry if I sound unsympathetic but I'm not here to sooth people through mis understandings as a result of mis information because it just doesn't help people.  The facts are the facts. It's much better to face things as they are than live in a world of incorrect facts. Feelings are feelings and I don't argue that these things really worry you and you have my utmost support when you feel unsafe BUT they are only feelings NOT  facts.

Keith

Hi Darius

I do understand your point and I am pleased that you argue your viewpoint. It is only by having honest discussions that we can understand the things that worry us.

Let's have an agreement then, that if you find something on you tube that you send me the link and let me comment before you guess at what you think may be going wrong. 

I think it's best to imagine the best and find supporting evidence and if that isn't available then we should consider other possibilities? what do you think ? After all most of the videos have safe outcomes.

Keith

Hi Keith,
Thank you so much ! I think your suggestion is really the best. When you are "technical" scary flyer there is lots of things, sounds and movements that can scare you. It's good that I figured out that hydraulic pump issue :) Now I will be flying more and who knows maybe more things will come. I'm really glad that you are here to help. Thanks again !
P.S. On my last flight there were two pilots flying as a passengers and if that sound wasn't normal then they would notice it. So it saved me a lot too :)

Best regards,
Darius

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

About

Captain Keith created this Ning Network.

Helping Each Other

We're here to help all fearful flyers by giving you support, help, encouragement and guidance.

So tell us your story, ask us how we can help.

And maybe you'll tell everyone you know about this forum because even if they haven't told you, someone you know is also anxious about flying.

Fear of flying? This is the internet's biggest free forum. The only on-line fear of flying course is at premium.flyingwithoutfear.com

© 2021   Created by Captain Keith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service