I hope no-one is offended by this post as I mean it in good spirit, but tomorrow I have to travel from Glasgow to Skye. This involves a five hour train, 40min boat and 30min bus. A similar return trip on Sunday. Now the problem is that, none of these things scare me. Not one bit. In fact I love boat journeys. The bouncing on the waves. Ever since I was about 4 and we ant on my first ferry trip. I have always loved it. Now the strange thing is that if I think about it, the movement of the boat on the water can be similar to that of a plane. But I never worry on the boat even when I sit inside and can't see where I am going. Funny that right? I guess at some point in my younger days I learned to love sailing. Or at least never learned to fear it. And I guess it must be learnt because surely nobody is born loving sailing. Just as nobody is born loving flying. Just at some point things happen that turn your learning one way or the other. 

Now being a psychologist I know that, though things may never truly be forgotten, (i.e. maybe there will always be that little bit of doubt,) we can definately learn to behave and believe in different ways given the right knowledge and a little bit of motivation. So I think basically what I am trying to say is that somewhere along the line, I guess we started inadvertently learning to fear flying. But the good news is that nothing stops us from learning a different perspective. I suppose if I really wanted I could learn to fear sailing, but I choose not to. I love the bumps too much. ;-)

All the best everyone with continuing to face our fear

Phil

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My first thoughts were, as Keith says, we can see water but not air and seeing is believing!!  The one thing that has helped me is Keith's comment that the aircraft is floaiting on a cushion of air!  My predominant thought was that we  "float" in the air by some miracle.  Listening to the audio course night after night has helped me realise travelling through air is the same as going over a bumpy road or bobbing over the sea - not smooth!!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

About

Captain Keith created this Ning Network.

Helping Each Other

We're here to help all fearful flyers by giving you support, help, encouragement and guidance.

So tell us your story, ask us how we can help.

And maybe you'll tell everyone you know about this forum because even if they haven't told you, someone you know is also anxious about flying.

Fear of flying? This is the internet's biggest free forum. The only on-line fear of flying course is at premium.flyingwithoutfear.com

© 2020   Created by Captain Keith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service