I am flying from Milwaukee, WI to Philadelphia, PA this Wednesday and am already starting my no sleep/ worrying routine that I do.  I have only taken two flying trips in my life.  One to Texas and then another last October to Mexico.  I had smooth successful flights both times but that has not calmed my fears.  I know all about the plane and turbulance mainly because of the great podcasts on this website but I still really worry about stuff like terrorism (especially flying out east), mechanical failure, and pilot error causing accidents.  It does not help that my sister recently had a horrible flight from Arizona to Chicago in which she said the plane was dropping up and down the whole 2 hours and she thought she was going to die.  Of course she had to tell me this even though she knew it would freak me out :).  I guess I am just mainly posting looking for support.  I know that I have to go because we have a wedding to go to out there but I just really don't want to!!  I wish I could get over this fear but I just don't think I will ever feel comfortable being 35,000 feet in the air, it just doesn't seem normal to me. 

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

HI Katie

Well it's perfectly normal to me and many people just like you. Be confident that you will overcome your fear..it may take time and there will be a lot of bravery to be found before you complete your journey, but you will.

Start by disregarding scare stories even from your sister!

Listen and read to the things I have written and said ion this network and on the main website

I have to be strict and say to you that it's a waste of time wishing for this fear to go away..if wishing worked for me there'd be no starving kids in the world. Don't wish...do something realistic like saying if there's turbulence I'm going to sing a song...stand on my head...recite a poem...do anything but hope and wish...that'll lead to disappointment.

There's plenty of advice here for useful things to do. So I'm expecting you to take a deep breath and go for this flight armed with the knowledge that when you get back you're going to do something about your fear. Don't run away ...that'll be a short term cure and a long term problem. This isn't a quick fix with a pill it's a course of antibiotics...

Captain Keith
Thank you Keith. I have several strategies I am going to try. I know you are not a fan of this but I already have anxiety disorder in the absence of flying so I will be taking some meds for the flight. I know that they won't help except for in the short term but they do help to take the edge off a little. I also have a very supportive husband to help me through the flight. I will let you know how it goes!

Thanks,

Katie

Captain Keith said:
HI Katie

Well it's perfectly normal to me and many people just like you. Be confident that you will overcome your fear..it may take time and there will be a lot of bravery to be found before you complete your journey, but you will.

Start by disregarding scare stories even from your sister!

Listen and read to the things I have written and said ion this network and on the main website

I have to be strict and say to you that it's a waste of time wishing for this fear to go away..if wishing worked for me there'd be no starving kids in the world. Don't wish...do something realistic like saying if there's turbulence I'm going to sing a song...stand on my head...recite a poem...do anything but hope and wish...that'll lead to disappointment.

There's plenty of advice here for useful things to do. So I'm expecting you to take a deep breath and go for this flight armed with the knowledge that when you get back you're going to do something about your fear. Don't run away ...that'll be a short term cure and a long term problem. This isn't a quick fix with a pill it's a course of antibiotics...

Captain Keith
Katie

I don't have a problem with anything that helps you. I am not a Doctror so can not recommend or advise on anything medical which I'm sure you'll understand.

Best wishes for you trip.

Keith
Keith,

Just wanted to let you know that the flight went great! I even sat by the window half of the time! I still hate the take-off, that is my least favorite part. I also do not like flying through big clouds because it gets so bumpy, but thanks to you, I know that is normal. I am not as scared about my return trip now. Thanks for all of your support Keith! You are doing so many people such a great service.

Katie

Captain Keith said:
Katie

I don't have a problem with anything that helps you. I am not a Doctror so can not recommend or advise on anything medical which I'm sure you'll understand.

Best wishes for you trip.

Keith
I second that, thanks Keith you are helping us all

Katie Augustine said:
Keith, Just wanted to let you know that the flight went great! I even sat by the window half of the time! I still hate the take-off, that is my least favorite part. I also do not like flying through big clouds because it gets so bumpy, but thanks to you, I know that is normal. I am not as scared about my return trip now. Thanks for all of your support Keith! You are doing so many people such a great service.

Katie

Captain Keith said:
Katie

I don't have a problem with anything that helps you. I am not a Doctror so can not recommend or advise on anything medical which I'm sure you'll understand.

Best wishes for you trip.

Keith

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

  • Add Photos
  • View All

About

Captain Keith created this Ning Network.

Helping Each Other

We're here to help all fearful flyers by giving you support, help, encouragement and guidance.

So tell us your story, ask us how we can help.

And maybe you'll tell everyone you know about this forum because even if they haven't told you, someone you know is also anxious about flying.

Fear of flying? This is the internet's biggest free forum. The only on-line fear of flying course is at premium.flyingwithoutfear.com

© 2022   Created by Captain Keith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service