I am flying to New York on the 18th and starting to feel very anxious. Especially as there was an incident in the news in the last week where the engine blew up on an Airbus. I know we shouldnt listen to the press when things like this happen, and we need to put it all in to perspective, but I cant help feeling more worried. I think I need some reassurance and facts and figures!!  

Views: 15

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Karen
Sorry that you starting to feel nervous. For the past couple of days I have felt similar about my trip on thursday to san diego - annoying as only last month I put myself through the same anxiety prior to my own NYC trip. The actual flights to NYC were fine. No prob at all.

I think i spooked myself this week a bit as well by watching the darn media. Really wish i hadnt but I did, and then I had to deal with it. Which I think I am almost doing, and if i can, then you can. Not because we are anything special, but as psychologist I know that people can unlearn a fear as well as they learnt it. The good thing is that you have time to get yourself settled. Read the books again if you think it will help. Concentrate on breathing properly and keeping calm. It really doesnt matter if you love flying today, or tomorrow, or the next day. Just focus on keeping calmi and come your flight you should have all the strength that you need to go on your amazing trip. Cos really NYC is awesome. Also, one thing i think helps is if you have posted before - go back and read them. U might find that you encourage yourself.

Now i cant give you facts and figures. Really I just dont know them, and to be honest I am beginning to think I dont need them. I remember Keith once told me that all the facts and figures will never satisfy me. Maybe you are different. I guess the only figure that should be really needed is that flying is pretty darn safe. Things do happen, but, as in the Qantas case, the pilot took control of the situation at hand and landed it perfectly safely. In fact, I heard the recording 'supposedly' from the pilot during the problem - as i 'tried' to avoid the media. And he sounded really calm and normal - almost like he was telly the weather. Wasnt problematic to him. Doesnt mean he has dealt with it a million times - might even have been his first. But when it happened he knew what to do.

One funny fact before i head. My punto is 10years old. barely passed its MOT. in the past year, my clutch, my gearbox, my head-gasket, and my windscreen wipers have all failed me whislt driving (the windscreen wipers went during a storm on the M74 north, which was fun). Yet every week i get in it and drive. Never check the thing and never worry about it - and i guess i am not the only one on the road like that. Yet for some reason I developed a fear about something that is checked after EVERY trip - by a team of experts. Now what is wrong with that image.

Dont know if any of this helps karen, but on the 18th, if it helps you to think of me getting on 3 flights on the same day coming back from san diego to glasgow, then go ahead and use that image. I find knowing that I am not alone is the sometimes the best support.

all the best
phil
Hi Karen,

I know how you feel! Quite frankly, there has been so much media saturation about the Qantas engine explosion it has been impossible to avoid, especially over here in Aus. In the end, I gave up and decided to listen to it all. I feel pretty weird about it actually, as I recently flew on one of the Singapore Airlines planes fitted with that engine.

I don't know if it will help, but that particular issue is specific to the large Rolls-Royce engines on A380 aeroplanes only. And not all A380s have been fitted with the Rolls-Royce model. Qantas and Singapore Airlines have grounded all affected planes while they work on the problem.

I have to admit I love my facts and figures. I usually choose flights based on the aircraft type and airline safety record. It is probably quite obsessive (my travel agent certainly thinks so) but it helps me relax knowing that I have made the best possible choice, and I can then focus on the triggers that set my anxiety soaring.

I'll be travelling on Qantas in three days time, and my fear is increasing in the lead up, but at least it won't be an A380! Sometimes, you've just got to laugh, hey? I avoided the A330s and booked on the A380 because there had been no major incidents!

I'm not sure if that will help, but I wish you the best of luck.

Sam.
Hi Phil,

Thank you so much for your message - your words have a very calming effect - I smiled as I read through.

You really have got a challenge ahead, but you know, I find that straight after a flight I am happy to go back on again. I find its the gap in between that doesnt help. I know in one of the books it mentions the fact that we dont fly every day as being a contributing factor to the fear building. This is also the reason perhaps why you dont feel scared to go in your car everyday!

I will think of you on the 18th - I am sure there will be lots of others feeling the same way as us in airports all over the world!

Thanks again for your kind words.

Karen

Phil said:
Hey Karen
Sorry that you starting to feel nervous. For the past couple of days I have felt similar about my trip on thursday to san diego - annoying as only last month I put myself through the same anxiety prior to my own NYC trip. The actual flights to NYC were fine. No prob at all.

I think i spooked myself this week a bit as well by watching the darn media. Really wish i hadnt but I did, and then I had to deal with it. Which I think I am almost doing, and if i can, then you can. Not because we are anything special, but as psychologist I know that people can unlearn a fear as well as they learnt it. The good thing is that you have time to get yourself settled. Read the books again if you think it will help. Concentrate on breathing properly and keeping calm. It really doesnt matter if you love flying today, or tomorrow, or the next day. Just focus on keeping calmi and come your flight you should have all the strength that you need to go on your amazing trip. Cos really NYC is awesome. Also, one thing i think helps is if you have posted before - go back and read them. U might find that you encourage yourself.

Now i cant give you facts and figures. Really I just dont know them, and to be honest I am beginning to think I dont need them. I remember Keith once told me that all the facts and figures will never satisfy me. Maybe you are different. I guess the only figure that should be really needed is that flying is pretty darn safe. Things do happen, but, as in the Qantas case, the pilot took control of the situation at hand and landed it perfectly safely. In fact, I heard the recording 'supposedly' from the pilot during the problem - as i 'tried' to avoid the media. And he sounded really calm and normal - almost like he was telly the weather. Wasnt problematic to him. Doesnt mean he has dealt with it a million times - might even have been his first. But when it happened he knew what to do.

One funny fact before i head. My punto is 10years old. barely passed its MOT. in the past year, my clutch, my gearbox, my head-gasket, and my windscreen wipers have all failed me whislt driving (the windscreen wipers went during a storm on the M74 north, which was fun). Yet every week i get in it and drive. Never check the thing and never worry about it - and i guess i am not the only one on the road like that. Yet for some reason I developed a fear about something that is checked after EVERY trip - by a team of experts. Now what is wrong with that image.

Dont know if any of this helps karen, but on the 18th, if it helps you to think of me getting on 3 flights on the same day coming back from san diego to glasgow, then go ahead and use that image. I find knowing that I am not alone is the sometimes the best support.

all the best
phil
Thanks Sam,

Must admit the more I think about the engine problem on the A380 and then wondered why I was feeling so nervous when in actual fact the plane landed perfectly safely!

I know there are lots of facts and figures in the books I bought through Keiths website and they are certainly very reassuring!

Good luck with your trip.

Kind regards, Karen

Sam T said:
Hi Karen,

I know how you feel! Quite frankly, there has been so much media saturation about the Qantas engine explosion it has been impossible to avoid, especially over here in Aus. In the end, I gave up and decided to listen to it all. I feel pretty weird about it actually, as I recently flew on one of the Singapore Airlines planes fitted with that engine.

I don't know if it will help, but that particular issue is specific to the large Rolls-Royce engines on A380 aeroplanes only. And not all A380s have been fitted with the Rolls-Royce model. Qantas and Singapore Airlines have grounded all affected planes while they work on the problem.

I have to admit I love my facts and figures. I usually choose flights based on the aircraft type and airline safety record. It is probably quite obsessive (my travel agent certainly thinks so) but it helps me relax knowing that I have made the best possible choice, and I can then focus on the triggers that set my anxiety soaring.

I'll be travelling on Qantas in three days time, and my fear is increasing in the lead up, but at least it won't be an A380! Sometimes, you've just got to laugh, hey? I avoided the A330s and booked on the A380 because there had been no major incidents!

I'm not sure if that will help, but I wish you the best of luck.

Sam.
Hi Karen

I'm flying to New York on the 18th as well! I'm flying on British Airways, what are you flying on?

I'm an American who moved over to the UK with my English husband. When I first moved over, I thought I would never be able to fly such a distance - much less by myself. I have to say the CD's and the book are absolutely fabulous - Captain Keith explains every noise, every bounce, every concern you may have. I've flown this past spring by myself to NY and back to London - BY MYSELF! And, if I can do it anyone can. I know exactly what you mean - despite my recent accomplishments, I felt somewhat concerned when I heard about the Rolls Royce engines, particularly as they are on BA planes as well. At the end of the day, the news played up the "near disaster", but neglects to keep reminding us that everyone landed safely, the pilots were on the ball - and it was NOT a disaster. It's natural to feel worried, but the media always makes us focus on the wrong end of the story.

I wish you the very best of luck and just now you will be fine - not sure if you have any of the literature/CD's, but try to remember how rarely these things do happen - and even when they do - there are safety checks in place that prevent anything worse. Good on you! XXX
Hi Karen

If you'd like to call me I'm on 01420 588 628

Keith
Hi Joyce,

You are quite right, sometimes we just need to calm down a little otherwise our minds can start to run away!

What a coincidence that we are travelling to the same place on the same day - my flight is from Gatwick at 19.55... What about yours?

Karen

Joyce said:
Hi Karen

I'm flying to New York on the 18th as well! I'm flying on British Airways, what are you flying on?

I'm an American who moved over to the UK with my English husband. When I first moved over, I thought I would never be able to fly such a distance - much less by myself. I have to say the CD's and the book are absolutely fabulous - Captain Keith explains every noise, every bounce, every concern you may have. I've flown this past spring by myself to NY and back to London - BY MYSELF! And, if I can do it anyone can. I know exactly what you mean - despite my recent accomplishments, I felt somewhat concerned when I heard about the Rolls Royce engines, particularly as they are on BA planes as well. At the end of the day, the news played up the "near disaster", but neglects to keep reminding us that everyone landed safely, the pilots were on the ball - and it was NOT a disaster. It's natural to feel worried, but the media always makes us focus on the wrong end of the story.

I wish you the very best of luck and just now you will be fine - not sure if you have any of the literature/CD's, but try to remember how rarely these things do happen - and even when they do - there are safety checks in place that prevent anything worse. Good on you! XXX
Thanks Keith, its very reassuring to know that you are at the end of the phone ( i will save the number in my mobile)! You are such an amazing person for dedicating your time the way you do. I am planning to read the books through again quickly to remind myself of the facts, this worked when I flew to Cuba in the summer and I am hoping it will help me again now. If not I will call you, thanks.

Karen

Captain Keith said:
Hi Karen

If you'd like to call me I'm on 01420 588 628

Keith
I'm flying on British Airways out of Heathrow. We're on the 8:20 a.m. flight. You will be in my thoughts! You will love New York, Karen. Enjoy, you deserve it - I'm rooting for you! xxx

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

About

Captain Keith created this Ning Network.

Helping Each Other

We're here to help all fearful flyers by giving you support, help, encouragement and guidance.

So tell us your story, ask us how we can help.

And maybe you'll tell everyone you know about this forum because even if they haven't told you, someone you know is also anxious about flying.

Fear of flying? This is the internet's biggest free forum. The only on-line fear of flying course is at premium.flyingwithoutfear.com

© 2021   Created by Captain Keith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service