Hi all!

Just found this webpage and forum. So great to finally find some people in a similar situation as myself. And I am already very encouraged by reading all your stories.

Here's the situation: I'm 31, living in Gothenburg, south Sweden. I've always been an anxious flyer since i began flying in my teens. And even though i fly about 4-6 times a year, my fear haven't gone away. It has subsided during some time, but only to return later. My greatest fear is turbulence. And even though i logically understand it's not dangerous, i dread it, every time. When it's not bumpy, i just sit and wait for it, sweaty, pale and silent.

Now, the 7 of December i'm commencing a long trip to Australia to visit my partners family. I have a itinerary that really really scares me:

Gothenburg - London, London-Hong Kong, Hong Kong-Melbourne, Melbourne-Sydney, Sydney-Tokyo, Tokyo-London, London-Gothenburg. All during 5 weeks. Just looking at this text makes me quiver.

The thing also is this: since we booked the flights a year ago I have been diagnosed with a mild to moderate anxiety disorder, including some (but not frequent) panic attacks and agoraphobia. I guess you can imagine the level of anxiety I feel at the thought of adding my greatest fear of all, FLYING, on top of this. 

I really don't know what to do! Even though I know I have been up there, the though of it now horrifies me. But I really don't want to cancel. I know, deep down, I will make I through. Right now i just don't know how!?

My greatest fear is that it will be bumpy all the way, all the flights! My other fear is obviously to have a major melt down or panic attack on board. I would really need your support and suggestions during the next few weeks to get me through this!

Views: 304

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Really pleased for you John!

4 Days til my flight!! Trying to breathe.. I been following your journey John and I first I want to say WOO HOO you did it!! :) Secondly you have given me a little more confidence to handle my flight. Have a great time and thank you for sharing on here, it actually helps to hear stories from other people like me. :)

Hi all!
Greetings from sunny (and hot) Melbourne!
Just a short update: only days before my to Tokyo now. And I can honestly say that I'm not near as nervous as I was before. A bit, but not so much it bothers me. Actually we have been living just below the descending course to Melbourne Airport. So for tree weeks I've been watching plane after plane coming in for landing. That in itself has been quite therapeutic. It all suddenly seem so normal and everyday. 

Spencer: thank you for following me! It really makes me happy if I have brought you some confidence! If I can do this, so can you! How did your flight go?

Spencer said:

4 Days til my flight!! Trying to breathe.. I been following your journey John and I first I want to say WOO HOO you did it!! :) Secondly you have given me a little more confidence to handle my flight. Have a great time and thank you for sharing on here, it actually helps to hear stories from other people like me. :)

Everything is success except  giving up.

Keith

Hi John,

I just got back from my NY trip yesterday and to tell you the truth it went very smooth, thank you for asking. I was a bit nervous during take offs but once we leveled out I actually forced myself to walk around the cabin in flight and look out the window during the landing, which I actually can say I enjoyed this time! I even took a picture with my cell phone out the window as a reminder that I did it once and I can do it again. :) I am now excited to plan another trip, I still think 2-3 hrs is my max on a plane right now, but it is a start! I am glad your enjoying your Melbourne experience. :)

John said:

Hi all!
Greetings from sunny (and hot) Melbourne!
Just a short update: only days before my to Tokyo now. And I can honestly say that I'm not near as nervous as I was before. A bit, but not so much it bothers me. Actually we have been living just below the descending course to Melbourne Airport. So for tree weeks I've been watching plane after plane coming in for landing. That in itself has been quite therapeutic. It all suddenly seem so normal and everyday. 

Spencer: thank you for following me! It really makes me happy if I have brought you some confidence! If I can do this, so can you! How did your flight go?

Spencer said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

About

Captain Keith created this Ning Network.

Helping Each Other

We're here to help all fearful flyers by giving you support, help, encouragement and guidance.

So tell us your story, ask us how we can help.

And maybe you'll tell everyone you know about this forum because even if they haven't told you, someone you know is also anxious about flying.

Fear of flying? This is the internet's biggest free forum. The only on-line fear of flying course is at premium.flyingwithoutfear.com

© 2020   Created by Captain Keith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service