Hi I am new to this forum! I am flying to New York on April 11 and I am flying alone. I am afraid to fly but usually when I'm with my partner I'm ok, but flying alone is one of my biggest fears. I have Xanax to help, but i don't like to take drugs unless necessary. My biggest fear is being STUCK on the plane.. i hate thinking that I have nowhere to go for 5-6 hours. And I'm afraid to leave my dog behind. I am also fearful of having a panic attack on the plane aahhh!!! I felt in November to New York and there was a lot of turbulence, but my boyfriend was helpful. Any support or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Views: 42

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hi ashlei..its hard to know where to start...you seem to have multiple fears..all of which you think will be worse because you are on your own....

in fact flying alone might be better...you can go at your own pace...you can do the things you want to do before hand and not have to talk to anybody ...do some things in the airport you like to do, look at things that interest YOU...its a good chance to be selfish...and what ever coping mechanism you have..you'll have to depend on you and not the crutch of your boyfriend to tell you its ok...you can tell yourself its OK.

being 'stuck' on the plane theres not much you can do about...except treat it as a chance for some quiet time...reading or watching movies (i take an ipad with my own movies on...either new things i have not seen or things i love to watch). dont worry about turbulence..there might not be any...and if there is they probably expect it...tell you its gonna happen and that should tell its not dangerous....just keep your belt on all the time...it will make you feel better.

lastly...the dog.....hey i have two myself and i hate leaving them...nothin i say will make you feel better about that but know this.....THAT will be the worst part of this trip.

good luck

all i can say is, its the same journey time as driving cornwall to manchester which i do regularly in a mini (old one so teeny) so maybe 2 films long.

and the average passenger plane floor is something like 3 x square feet of the average uk home and we spend a lot of time there.  hope we can help.

Hey check out Carly...from fearful flyer to voice of reason...you go girl

carly said:

all i can say is, its the same journey time as driving cornwall to manchester which i do regularly in a mini (old one so teeny) so maybe 2 films long.

and the average passenger plane floor is something like 3 x square feet of the average uk home and we spend a lot of time there.  hope we can help.

You guys really helped me! I will re-read these before my flight.. i really appreciate your rational voices of reason! everything you guys said makes so much sense.. it is time for myself.. i can't depend on my boyfriend to be my crutch because i have myself! and i never knew that info about the flight cabin! good point! and i will definitely be taking my ipad with tons of shows and movies i can watch!

Keep us posted. I'm a massive wimp but some things really help.

i used to take xanax for flying too but for the past few years ive been unable to because ive been either pregnant or nursing. so on monday im flying to south africa once again, with my husband and two kids (age 2 and a half, and 4 months) and im definately getting nervous. i have a lot of similar fears to you, being stuck on the plane, turbulence etc but im going to try very very hard to keep it together as i really dont want to upset my kids. especially my toddler gets very upset when i cry. to him the trip is a huge adventure obviously so i will see if we can say hello to the pilots when we board and hopefully between him and my daughter i will be kept busy enough not to have too much time to dwell on the fact that im on a very long flight.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

About

Captain Keith created this Ning Network.

Helping Each Other

We're here to help all fearful flyers by giving you support, help, encouragement and guidance.

So tell us your story, ask us how we can help.

And maybe you'll tell everyone you know about this forum because even if they haven't told you, someone you know is also anxious about flying.

Fear of flying? This is the internet's biggest free forum. The only on-line fear of flying course is at premium.flyingwithoutfear.com

© 2021   Created by Captain Keith.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service